Underground Railroad

"Nancy," whispered Helen, "oh Nancy. You found it!"

"Finally," said Nancy with a sigh of relief. She pulled a flashlight out of her pocket and turned it on.

Helen grabbed her arm. "You are not going down there. We should let Chief McGinnis know."

"We should probably let Jane know where to find the button," said Nancy, almost in a daze.

"You're right about that too. I'll go get her. Don't move," said Helen before dashing off towards the kitchen. Nancy sank to the floor. She did it, she finally did it, she found an entrance to the secret tunnel. And all it took was timing. She didn't know how many times they had been in that room and had passed it up. Was the sofa at Twin Elms the same way? It had to have been, it would explain how their ghost got in and out earlier that day! But then, how did he get outside without them seeing him? Was there an exit to the yard as well? There was only one way to find out. She stood up and glanced at the doorway, hushed voices were coming closer. She turned back to the sofa, and stepped in.

"That is simply amazing!" whispered Jane as she and the Turnbulls followed Helen out of the kitchen. Helen had quickly explained that Nancy found the secret passage and how she found it. "We've been in that room so many times and never noticed!"

"So have we!" whispered Helen. "But we also wouldn't have noticed it before because we weren't looking for secret passages before!"

"You never know what you'll find when you look for it," mumbled Mary.

"Oh Mary, knock it off. I for one am very glad this is almost all over, Nancy will be reunited with her father very soon!" whispered Edna.

"Oh yes! And then . . ." Helen paused in the doorway, her eyes widening. "Oh no, no no no! I'm so stupid! She went in!" The four quickly went to the sofa and looked in. "I should have known this was going to happen!"

"Well, you can't go back now," muttered Mary.

Helen huffed. "You're right, I guess I'm going to have to go in after her." She turned to the women. "Do you have any flashlights?"

"We have a couple, I'll go get them," said Edna before taking off.

"I'll go with you," said Jane.

"You're the manager," said Mary, "you should stay for when the police show up. I'll go with her."

"Oh Mary, um, you're not exactly . . ."

"As young and as agile as I used to be? I know, but I'm still pretty strong, Jane, I can handle anything."

"I'm sure you could," said Helen, "but I really would like a fellow to come along. No offence."

"None taken, there are some things only a man can do," siad Mary.

"Well, the Matthews's are coming over and dropping off those extras," said Edna as she entered the room and handed Helen a flashlight. "Maybe we can have one of them go with you."

"Oh, that would be great! When are they getting here?"

Jane glanced at the old clock sitting on the mantle. "They should be here any minute now."

"Well, if you can send one of them down, please do, but I must go in after Nancy right now!"

"You be careful now, you hear?" said Edna as the women helped Helen into the sofa.

"I will, it's Nancy we have to worry about."

"Right. I'll contact the police right away," said Jane before rushing out of the room.