Truth Untold

I woke up and was greeted to the smell of food, which I had to admit I was craving. I got out of bed and made my way to the kitchen where David was cooking, then decided to look around the camp man's room before he noticed. Typical Polaroid pictures of landscapes and forests were hung on the wall, but most pictures taken from Camp Campbell.

I was assuming David took all the photographs because there was also a camera on the shelf along with other books and accessories. His annoying guitar was also in the corner of the room. I gotta say, David's room is neat and the cleanest I've ever seen.

I finally left the room and went to the kitchen. "Oh, Good afternoon Max!" He said in a cheery tone.

"Afternoon..?" I questioned.

"Yup, it's already one p.m. Did you sleep well?"

"Mhm." I said before yawning.

"That's great! Also, there's an extra toothbrush in the bathroom, make sure you brush your teeth." He said.

"Ughh.." I groaned quietly and did what I was told. I came back to a simple plate of eggs and bacon along with chocolate chip waffles.

"Here ya go, Max." He said, "I already ate, so you won't be bothered." I sat down and began eating. David gave himself a cup of coffee and made me a mug as well. I wouldn't think he would make me a mug of coffee, but I'm sure he was only being nice. He knows how much I like coffee after stealing his and Gwen's coffee machine back at camp. I'm sure this will be the last time he gives me some, depending on how long I actually stay here.

I took a bite out of the food and was surprised at how good it was. "Damn David, this tastes good!" I said with my mouth stuffed with eggs and bacon. He chuckled. After finishing the waffles and licking off the syrup and melted chocolate chips from my fork, David put my plate away.

"Okay, so Max.." David started off.

Ugh.. I knew where this was going. What am I supposed to say?

"Can you tell me what's going on? And why you're here? Don't you live far? Also, you need a bath..." He mumbled the last part.

It took a second for me to answer. "I.. uhh-"
Suddenly a big soft creature ran towards me and knocked me off my chair

"Well, look also woke up!" David said as the thing started licking me. I opened my eyes as soon as I realize what it was. It was a golden retriever!

I gasped," Holy SHIT, DAVID! YOU NEVER TOLD ME YOU HAD A DOG!" I shouted happily as it licked my cheek.

David chuckled, "Her name's Oakley, I got her the day after Camp Campbell shut down for the summer, so I wouldn't be lonely here. She really likes being played with and meeting new people."

I laughed as she wouldn't let me stand up. David helped me up though. Once I got up, I started playing with Oakley.

"I'll get the shower ready for you, okay Max?" David said.

I heard him but didn't answer because I was too busy playing with Oakley in the living room. I've never had a dog before, my parents hated dogs so they never let me have one. I'm glad I ran away, but now I don't know how to tell David why I did this. Why I chose him. I'm gonna have to eventually.

~

After taking a nice shower, David washed my shirt and got me a pair of shorts. But that was a problem. He would be able to see the bruises on my arms and legs. I asked for a blanket because I was "cold".

I looked at the time. It was almost seven p.m. and the sun was starting to go down. I was sitting on the couch with Oakley next to me, watching some tv while also eating a snack. David had walked in the room and made his way to the smaller couch.