Rent

"Oh, aren't you precious!" Aunt Sal cooed as Patty returned to the living room. She'd joined Mom on the sofa with coffee.

Patty smiled, taking a seat next to Mom.

"When will she be here?" Mom asked.

Patty glance at the clock on the wall. "In about half an hour, she said."

"Do you want something to eat before you go?"

"We're going out for dinner, Mom," Patty reminded her, smiling.

"I know, but what if you get hungry on the way?"

Patty hugged her tightly. "I'll be fine."

They were startled by Talia yelling down the hall.

"No, what the fuck is wrong with you? Why do you have them? MOM, DAD!"

"Talia?!" Dad called as he and Mom stood.

Aunt Sal rolled her eyes, finishing her coffee and heading out the door to the kitchen.

Talia's scream chilled Patty to the bone. It was abruptly cut off, and something heavy hit the floor.

Mom was the first to the door. She clasped a hand over her mouth. "Oh my god."

Uncle John appeared at the doorway in front of her, covered in blood. Patty's brain couldn't make sense of the knife in Mom's throat or the way she choked, falling to her knees.

"Patty, go," Dad urged, grabbing the poker from the fireplace and pushing him towards the door Aunt Sal had left through.

Running into the kitchen, Patty clasped a hand over his mouth and fought back a scream. Aunt Sal was on her knees with her back to Patty, driving a knife into their maid, Tabitha's chest over and over. He slipped out the back door, praying she wouldn't notice him.

The night was cold, but Patty barely registered the biting wind as he ran into the woods, sick to his stomach, mind racing as it tried to make sense of what just happened.