Responsive

Ronnie glanced at the silent radio again. "Something's wrong. We have to go."

"Wait," Foley said.

"He could be dead."

"He's not."

"How do you know?"

Foley shrugged helplessly. "We have to wait for him to radio us. We can't fuck this up."

The radio crackled to life and Ronnie's heart nearly jumped out of his chest.

"Hello? This is Patrick Walters, I'm calling from my family's cabin."

Was it just the static or was Patty crying?

"Drive," Ronnie said.

Beside them, Ali's car rumbled to life as well.

"Something's happened, John and Sal-" Patty definitely sobbed just then. "They attacked us. I think Tabitha's dead. Someone please help us. Over."

Ronnie fumbled with the radio. "This is Ronnie Ish and Patrick Foley, we're coming to get you. Over."

"This is Ben Langford-Biss and Alistair Testo, we're on our way to your family's house. Over."

"Please hurry. And be careful. Over."

"Walters," Foley murmured, "How did we forget them?"

"What?"

"Mary Walters was Ben's boss. Todd organised conservation fundraisers. The family lived in that fucked up house everyone said was haunted. Or cursed."

He was right, Ronnie realised. "They had two kids..." He'd met Patty and Talia. He'd never been close with anyone in the family but years ago he'd known them all.

He listened as Ben asked Patty for more information the way he would if he were answering any distress call. It felt weird to treat this like an ordinary emergency situation, but then again, they couldn't risk doing anything to fuck up whatever power was at work tonight.

Ahead of them, Ali's car turned off the road and stopped in front of the house. If Patty was right, they should make it in time to save his sister and grandmother. Ronnie refused to acknowledge the tiny voice that wondered if he was wrong.

When they reached the cabin, Ronnie didn't even give Foley a chance to park before jumping out and sprinting to it. The door was ajar, encircled by a halo of warm light. He pushed it open, his eyes falling to the small form curled up in a blanket in front of a heater.

"Patty?" His knees were weak as he numbly closed the door behind him and stumbled forward.

Patty stirred and tried to sit up.

Ronnie knelt beside him and took off his gloves. "Hey. It's okay, I'm here now." He put a hand to Patty's forehead. "Just relax, okay? You're gonna be fine."

"Grandma..." Patty mumbled weakly, "She's still at home, you have to help her."

"Ben and Ali are there, remember? They're gonna get her and Talia."

"Talia?"

A gust of cold air hailed Foley's entrance.

"I have the first aid kit and clothes for him. Is he..."

Ronnie looked up at him. "He's alive."

"Thank god," Foley sighed. He handed Ronnie the clothes. "I'll wait in the car in case Ben and Ali radio in."

"Okay. Patty, I need you to talk to me."

Ronnie coaxed Patty's leg out of the blanket, sucking in a breath when he got a good look at it. Up close and unfrozen, he could see how deep it was, even with all the blood seeping out. There was no way he could wash it while Patty was still so cold, so he took out a few bandages and started wrapping it up tightly, keeping Patty talking with trivial questions to make sure he wasn't falling unconscious.

As Patty warmed, Ronnie looked over him for signs of frostbite. His body had definitely had it when they saw it earlier, but whatever magic allowed him to come back seemed to have reversed those injuries.

"Can you put this on for me?" Ronnie asked, handing Patty the large coat Foley had brought in.

Patty sat up and took it, letting his blanket down just enough to put it on. Once he was dressed, Ronnie picked him up and carried him to the car, Foley coming out to open the back door for them.

"Ben says they've got Talia and grandma. They're heading back now."

"Good," Ronnie said, helping Patty into the car and following him in. He pulled his injured leg onto his lap to keep it elevated as Foley got back in and started driving.

He waited until they'd passed the house, haunting and oppressive despite the bright lights in all the windows, to let himself breathe.