Chapter 2

There was a moment of surprise in his eyes before a grin split across his face. His mouth titled to the right when he smiled, giving him a mischievous look. He stood up and extended his hand. I grabbed onto it and let him pull me back to my feet.

"My name's Ari."

"Ari," I repeated, sounding the name out. "That's unusual."

"Well it's Arius actually. But no one calls me that."

I opened my mouth to ask the next most pressing question. Namely, what in the world happened back there, but Ari caught me off.

"Come on Paige. I don't know about you but I could use a drink." He nodded up the street. "I know a good place nearby."

I opened my mouth a second time to protest, but he was already walking up the street. How did he know my name? I hurried to catch up.

"Hey!" I said once we were walking side by side. I half-turned to face him. "Not so fast. How do you know my name? And what was that? Did you, like, know the roof was going to fall in? And what was with that picture the Professor showed? Why did you get so upset?"

Ari glanced at me quickly. He shook his head and kept his eyes fixed forwards. "You could've led with thanks," he muttered. 

My feet stopped moving for a second and I had to run to catch up again.

"Thanks?" I said incredulously. But the words felt wrong as soon as they left my mouth. "I mean...yeah, thanks. Really. I don't think I would've made it out without you."

His lips curled into a humorless smile. "Don't worry about it. I just hope everyone else got out. I think they did, but man, that guy was an idiot. Why bait them like that?"

"Bait who? The Professor?"

Ari didn't reply.

"Was it that painting? What is it with you and that thing?"

Ari sighed and glanced at me. "I'll explain soon, okay? It'll be easier once we've had a chance to relax. The others will be there too."

My feet stopped fully this time.

"The others?"

He kept walking.

I swore under my breath. Of course the guy who saved my life had to be an arrogant prick.

I stayed a few paces behind as we crossed the road towards a nondescript concrete building. A neon green sign flickered outside.

O'Brien's

Ari was already at the bottom of the stairs, waiting with the door propped open. I glared at him as I walked through the door. We entered a dim, low-ceilinged pub. Tables were scattered haphazardly across the room, and wide booths were set around the edges. The bartender flirted nonchalantly with a girl behind the bar. This was definitely not the kind of place they cared about a few minors wandering in.

Ari waved at a couple in a booth in the corner. "Come on. I'll introduce you to my friends." He grabbed my hand before I could protest.

I planted my feet, refusing to be pulled along this time. 

"I want to know what's going on." I enunciated each syllable slowly.

Ari's eyes deepened and a line appeared on his brow. He squeezed my hand.

"You will," he promised. He paused, and then added, "just don't freak out."

I didn't even try to interpret that. But his hand felt oddly reassuring in mine.