Chapter 12

The sun filtered through the window in the kitchen, basking the table in warm light. Kris reached for the now dwindling stack of pancakes and speared the second to last one with his fork. Doris swatted his outstretched arm playfully.

"Really, Kris? You could leave some for others!"

Kris glanced at me before pulling the pancake onto his plate. He grinned sheepishly.

I laughed and passed him the maple syrup.

"They are delicious," he mumbled, his mouth already full.

Ari lounged in the chair beside me, one arm thrown over the back of my seat. I'd made breakfast at his place this morning; it was where I woke up most mornings these days. I smiled at Ari and needled his ribs with my elbow. I guess he was pretty much my boyfriend now.

Ari winked and leaned forward, grabbing the final pancake.

"Don't even think about it!" I warned.

Ari grinned as he poured the syrup.

"Oh no you don't! I've only had one. And I made them!" I exclaimed, now somewhat serious. I was still hungry.

Ari paused with his fork hovering above the pancake, his face suddenly gone blank. He placed the fork back on the table and pushed his plate towards me mechanically.

I blushed guilty and glanced at Doris and Kris to see if they noticed. Doris laughed and touched Kris's arm, lost in their own conversation. I smiled and turned back to Ari.

Everything was different now.

*****

THE END

*****