Chapter 6

I woke to the faint crackling of a fire. Its warmth blanketed my face and body. I watched the hazy orange flames dance from behind closed eyelids. My hand was numb from being pinned under my body, but I didn't move. I didn't want Ari to know I was awake. I could hear him shuffling nearby, and it was the sound of a zipper opening that had woken me. Had I really thrown myself into his arms? My cheeks heated at the memory. 

"Paige?"

My body jerked involuntarily at the sound of his voice. 

"I know you're awake. Come on, have something to eat."

I peeled my eyes open slowly. Ari was seated on a log by the fire, stirring something in a pot suspended over the flames. I pushed myself off the ground and ran a hand over the back of my hair sheepishly. It was night. The grey sky had darkened to a deep black, unlit by any stars or moon; it was more the absence of color than any particular shade. I opened my mouth and shook my head. My throat was dry and cracked; I couldn't force any words out.

Ari reached down beside him and held out a water bottle. I took it without meeting his eyes and tipped its contents into my mouth. The water was cold, soothing my throat as it trickled down. I drained it in a few gulps and handed the empty bottle back to him. Ari laughed dryly and took the bottle back. He spooned some of the contents out of the pot and held a steaming bowl out to me.

I narrowed my eyes and took that too.

"Why are you being so nice?"

Ari's smile was wry as he sat back. A trace of his former anger flashed across his features before leveling back to a calm expression.

"You shouldn't have followed me here, Paige. You shouldn't have followed me at all," he added pointedly.

I looked into my bowl and nodded.

"Here," he said, handing me a spoon.

I took it wordlessly and began to eat. The mixture was warm and flavorful, and I finished it quickly. Ari took my bowl, refilled it, and handed it back. I ate greedily, focusing on the warm, satiated feeling spreading over my stomach. It was much more pleasant than the confusion and fear spinning in my head. If Ari could have read my emotions, he would have found them every bit as chaotic as the wind he summoned.

Once I was finished, I set the bowl down and wiped my mouth with the back of my hand. I looked up, meeting Ari's eyes directly for the first time. He was watching me with amusement.

"Don't let me stop you," he chuckled.

"Thank you," I said quietly.

Ari nodded and began filling his own bowl. He paused with the spoon in front of his lips.

"You know what place this is?"

I nodded slowly. I could still feel that dreaded mountain hovering over my shoulder.

"Good."

I watched Ari eat. Light from the flames danced over his face, casting shadows under his cheekbones. He was slumped forwards. A strand of dark hair had fallen over his eyes that he didn't bother to push back. He looked tired.

"Can they... see us here?"

Ari glanced at me and set the bowl down by his feet.

"I don't think so. Not see us anyways. But they have other ways of knowing we're here."

The darkness around us felt malevolent. 

"Like what?"

"The first time I came here it was by accident. I was doing a ritual like the one you saw. Except I was furious with the gods, half-crazed with anger. It was right after..." he trailed off. "It doesn't matter. I called the wind by accident and it brought me here. I had no idea where I was. I stumbled blindly through the forest for hours. I was terrified, screaming for help, but for some reason I couldn't call the wind to bring me back. Eventually an eagle flew overhead. It was flying really low like," Ari mimed a swooping motion with his hand. "And then he appeared. Told me I wasn't welcome here and that I should return to the same spot I'd appeared to go back home."

I furrowed my brow, suddenly not following. "Who came?"

Ari looked at me seriously and clasped his hands between his legs.

"Hermes."

My eyebrows shot up. "Hermes?"

"Yeah. Zeus's messenger, you know?"

Zeus. That one I did know. King of the gods.

"And the...these gods," I corrected myself. "They live up there?" I motioned to the massive mountain cloaked in darkness behind us.

Ari nodded meaningfully. "Mount Olympus."

I closed my eyes, trying in vain to gather my thoughts. I was well past the point of not believing what he told me.

"So," I started slowly. "We're in some mythical land of the gods, and we're definitely not welcome?"

"Pretty much. I though a sacrifice and some adulation would make it go over easier if they found me. But yeah, definitely not welcome."

I exhaled through clenched teeth.

"For the love of god–gods. What are we doing here then?"

Ari's face turned grave. "I'm trying to make things right. But you're not doing anything. I'll take you back first thing tomorrow."

I couldn't hide the relief his words caused. Home. I watched in silence as he pulled a sleeping bag out of the backpack and unrolled it on the ground by the fire.

"What are you going to do Ari?"

He sighed. "Paige."

"Please, Ari," I interrupted, recognizing his tone. "Please tell me. I'm already here. What could it cost you now?"

Ari was silent. He stared at me over the flickering flames. He was silent for so long I'd given up on him telling me. But then he stood, and looking at me through the darkness, he said: 

"I'm going to kill the gods."