Chapter 11

The problem was the eagles. They circled through the sky, never seeming to lose track of us despite the high walls. We traced endless paths through the maze, trying to find a way out. We could have done it too. But every time we neared what felt like an exit, the eagles would dive towards us, their wings pinned flat against their bodies and their talons outstretched. We would inevitably dash back the way we came, suddenly desperate for the cover of the walls.

I stood beside Ari with my back pressed to the wall, panting from having just escaped the eagles' latest assault. There was no way we could get out of the maze like this, never mind make it all the way through the forest and back to our world. I glanced at Ari; he was breathing hard.

"This is hopeless. We'll never make it out this way!"

Ari twisted his lip and looked at the sky.

"I know... I'll think of something."

"How about we think of something."

He turned from the wall to face me. 

"I'm open to bright ideas."

Not that I actually had any.

"Well..." I started, scrambling to put something together. "Zeus wanted me to complete some test right? That's why the eagles won't let us out of here?"

Ari nodded slowly.

"So... maybe we should listen to him? Do the test."

Ari groaned and threw up his hands.

"That's your plan? No way!"

"Hey!" I said defensively. "You're not exactly the king of good ideas either, Mr. bag full of explosives. And seeing as we can't get out of this ridiculous maze, I don't see another option."

I could see Ari agreed with my reasoning by the dread spreading across his face. He nodded to the wall behind us.

"Do you have any idea what's in there?"

"A monster, right? In the center of the labyrinth."

Ari shook his head. "There used to be a monster. The minotaur. But it was slain by Theseus a long time ago. Now... now I have no idea what's in there. And I don't really want to find out."

I furrowed my brow, remembering the strange feeling of sorrow that had first drawn me into the maze. It hadn't felt like a monster.

"Do you think Zeus wants us to kill it?"

Ari shrugged. "That's usually how it goes. Slay this thing, escape that. The gods are freaking barbaric."

I chewed on my lower lip, considering. I definitely didn't want to kill whatever was in there. And I couldn't imagine myself being much use in combat regardless. But there was something about the way it had felt that made me think it didn't want to hurt me either. There was so much pain inside it, why would it want to add more?

"I think... I think I want to meet it."

"You want to what?"

I placed my hands on my hips and faced Ari directly.

"I want to meet it. You're the one who said I was persuasive. Let me try and persuade it."

"What? No! I only said that so Zeus wouldn't kill you! Not because I actually think you have some monster-taming powers."

I set my jaw, biting back a hurtful retort. "And why can't I? You've got your thing with the wind, maybe I have something similar with emotions. We're both descended from the same gods after all." I sighed and glanced away. "And besides... there must be some purpose to all this... everything I feel. Everyone's deepest feelings laid bare for me to see. What if I really can convince this thing to leave us alone?"