first time

—————

Harry isn't having a great night.

Well, okay, it's still pretty wonderful but that's just because he's with his (Y/N), but everything else has been awful. He's still learning to be comfortable going out into the human world again, and getting used to all that has changed since he'd hid himself away. But he's been wanting to try, especially since (Y/N) basically married him and has been so loving and accepting of everything about him. But tonight has really sucked.

Harry started the night by hiking down his mountain, meeting (Y/N) at the base. As soon as she saw him, he was showered in kisses and compliments (the only good moment of the night, really). She had reiterated quite a few times how much she loved his outfit (he had on a white mesh shirt that showed off his tattoos, and these loud, paisley print bottoms that added a flourish to each of his steps), and the pretty pearl necklace he had conjured up that morning. It was so fulfilling to hear her voice in person again, and feel her lips on his skin. They had spent some time apart as (Y/N) got busy with work, so their reunion was that much sweeter. But that was really the end of the good. (Well, after a good five minute make out session in her car).

(Y/N) wanted to take him out to eat, trying to slowly ease him into civilization. Harry had immediately agreed to the idea, giddy at the idea of going somewhere in public with her and eager to show off the fact that he was her's. By the time they had pulled into the parking lot of a cozy Italian place, much of Harry's loved up adrenaline had settled. Now, a wave of his regular anxiety was surfacing. (Y/N) tried her best to relieve him, always having her hand in his, constantly getting him to talk to distract him, and doing anything to make sure his focus stayed on her where it was familiar instead of all the noise and new around him. And it worked. Until (Y/N) recognized someone.

It was another waiter at the restaurant, someone she had dated a few years back and hadn't seen much of after the breakup. From what Harry had gathered, they ended on pretty good terms by the way they greeted each other with a hug and enthusiastic calls of how have you been?! It's been so long! And Harry hadn't really ever really thought of himself as the jealous kind, especially since he was a part of the Free Love movement back in the day. He never had a problem when someone he had been seeing, saw someone else and he knew that he was free to do the same. But, this... Seeing (Y/N) acknowledge the fact she had been with other's before him and was animatedly speaking with one of the aforementioned other's, surprisingly brought out that melancholic, green monster.

And it wasn't even like (Y/N) or the man were doing anything!

They politely hugged when they noticed each other, then (Y/N) promptly sat back down as the man stood by their table and said hello to Harry. (Y/N) had even introduced Harry as her boyfriend (they were still easing into the fact that they were technically married). But for some reason it just wasn't enough for him. He just wanted to stand up and shout from the rooftops that (Y/N) was his and he was her's and it would be that way until they ceased to exist. But he didn't.

He stayed quiet through the interaction, watching on as (Y/N)'s attention was spent on another. He watched as she laughed at a memory the man had brought up, as she giggled at inside jokes, and even let her hand loosen in his hold. Harry knew she wasn't doing this to hurt him, but it did anyway. He had always romanticized the idea of a part of his soul going along with her through her life, but that didn't equate to physically being with her and apart of these memories she so fondly recalled.

Eventually—not soon enough, Harry thought quite bitterly—the man had to get back to work. He said his goodbyes and drifted off back to the kitchen, leaving in his wake a flood of emotions Harry didn't know how to deal with. He could see out of the corner of his eyes (Y/N)'s brows furrow and her mouth open. Before any words could come out, their actual waiter stopped by with their meals for the night before zipping away to cater to the other tables. He began eating right away, eager to have an excuse as to why he wouldn't talk right now. He knew (Y/N) was catching onto his behavior, and she wouldn't let it play out for much longer without an explanation.