Chapter 20

The panic was rising in his chest. It was closing up his airway, making it so that he couldn't breath, which only made him panic worse. The various monitors that were attached to him started to beep faster and faster, reaching a point where they were screaming in his ears. He couldn't take anymore and reached blindingly for the wires, pulling any that he could find away from his body, ripping them from his skin. He could neither see or hear his friends though he could still feel them grabbing at him and trying to pull him back. They didn't understand. Of course they didn't understand. You couldn't understand unless you'd been through it yourself which was why Levi resisted them with all his might. That could be Nico in there, dying and Levi had to get to him if it was. He had to remind him that he was loved, that he was still needed here on Earth, that even though they had only been official for a matter of months, Levi already knew that he was the one and he didn't want to be alone and without Nico. He swung his legs out of the bed and was only stopped from getting up by Casey suddenly appearing in front of him and grabbing his shoulders. He directed a furious gaze at Casey and Casey returned the gaze with a simple shake of his head. It was clear that he wouldn't be going anywhere.

#####

Owen Hunt knew he was in trouble as soon as he heard that sound that all doctors dreaded. The sound of the heart monitor letting out a single note and someone calling out for the code blue team. But this time hurt the most. Because this time, he was looking into the face of someone he knew and he knew that this moment would haunt him for the rest of his days, perhaps even more than Megan. This time, when the code blue was called out, it was for a healthy young man that didn't deserve any of what he was going through. He was snapped out of his horror as he got elbowed on the ribs as his team tried frantically to work around their frozen leader. Realising what was happening, he let his instincts take over and let out a series of instructions to which his team immediately responded to. God help him if he was to let Nico Kim die on his table yet again.

####

Link could feel the anger rising in his chest as he ran through the corridors of Grey Sloan. What had anyone at the hospital done to anger God so much that he decided to try and put them through hell?

He'd been at home when he got the call about what had happened to Min-jun and Nico. He'd ordered from that Chinese around the corner that he loved and was just sinking into his couch when the phone has rang. Amelia has been greeted to a string of curse words as Link answered while trying to pick food off of his shirt. None of that mattered when Link heard the words "Nico and Min-jun have been shot," come out of Amelia's mouth. He'd raced out of the house without even bothering to try and change his shirt and driven as fast as he could to the hospital.

It had been chaos when he had arrived. He had attempted to arrive through the ambulance bay, knowing that that was the quickest way towards Resus and Nico. His attempt had been cut off almost immediately as he reached the hospital and a stream of ambulances began to overtake him. The radio announced a few moments later that there had been a major incident on one of Seattle's busiest roads. Link sighed and went to manoeuvre his car into an illegal U turn to approach the other entrance to Grey Sloan, knowing that there would be a steady stream of ambulances heading towards Grey Sloan for the rest of the night.

He found a parking space close to the doors leading into the hospital and had found himself racing through the familiar hallways and corridors to get to Resus and to get to his best friend who needed him now more than ever. Perhaps even more than when he had been caught in that pile up that had landed them in this whole mess in the first place. But when he arrived, he knew his place was not at Nico's side but rather Levi's. The boy had clearly been in distress for quite a while, screaming at the other interns while trying desperately to fight them at every turn. Link knew why he was fighting them so desperately, could hear the cries of 'clear' coming from one of those two little rooms but he had to not be selfish and prioritise Levi. He stepped up to the interns, one sporting a nasty looking cut on their cheek, and grabbed Levi's failing hands in his. As he did so, he heard the shouts stop from within the room and one look at Levi's eyes told him everything. He dropped Levi's hands and flew across the emergency apartment to fling the door to that room open. His eyes were greeted with Owen looking at the clock on the wall and announcing, "Time of death: 11:35." And there on the bloodied table lay the body of Min-jun.