Chapter 1

╔═══════════════╗

Nightmares

╚═══════════════╝

After the snap that erased half of the universe's population, everyone had to move forward. No matter how much they wanted to stay in the past, time continued onward. Some families lost some members while other families were completely erased. Those who couldn't accept a new reality were depressed. They struggled to move forward and isolated themselves. The grief was simply too much for them. Everyone lost someone.

Yuna was someone special. She had a heart of gold and a smile that shined as bright as the sun. She was everything. Someone as good as this didn't deserve to be snapped away, but life had other plans.

The sound of a helicopter and a plane sirened in the sky. They fell from the sky like angels without their wings. The aircrafts crashed and burned into buildings. People panicked. They ran away from the accidents, but unknowingly this was a threat they couldn't run from. It was sad. No one knew it at the time, but everyone was a sitting duck. All they could do now was wait for life to pick and choose who survived or not.

Ryujin and Yuna were on their way to their anniversary date. Ryujin had planned a night in the city then for dinner, she would bring her back home to a lovely decorated backyard. Before they had set out, Ryujin had designed her backyard into a special paradise. In the center, there was a wooden gazebo with a fancy dinner table underneath it. Ryujin hung oriental lanterns that stretched from all sides of the gazebo adding to the mood lighting. It was perfect and ready to go.

Though just like everyone else, she was never going to be ready for what she was about to experience.

Knots twisted Ryujin's heart the more destruction that occurred around her. Glass shattering. Fires burning. People screaming. Something didn't sit well with her. She was worried for Yuna's and her own safety.

Then she saw it. A person's body began fading away. She couldn't believe her eyes. People don't just disappear into thin air. Then another one faded as well. More and more people faded away.

Ryujin's instincts kicked in. She led Yuna through the frenzy of people. Her grip tightened never once wanting to let go of Yuna's hand. Ryujin didn't know where to go, but she knew it was best to find somewhere to take shelter.

As Ryujin navigated them through the crowd, it was subtle, but she noticed. She couldn't feel Yuna's hand anymore. She turned around worried.

"Yu— no! No, no, no! Please!!!"

Yuna's hand was fading slowly. Ryujin kept Yuna close.

"No, no, no. Not her please!!"

Ryujin's eyes swelled with tears which immediately fell down her face. Yuna wiped the tears off her cheeks.

"Please don't cry. Everything is going to be alright." Yuna remained positive even at the doorsteps of death.

"You can't go!! N-not now.."

Ryujin's body started to accept the reality. Her shoulders dropped. Her eyes never dried up. She had a hard time looking at Yuna while she was fading. She wanted to look at her as much as she could, but the more Yuna faded, the more it felt like Ryujin's heart faded along with her.

"..Please stay with me.. I love you so much.."

Yuna sweetly smiled.

"I love y—"

Ryujin found herself on the floor. Her arms and hands clutching at nothing. All she could hear was silence. Despite all the chaos around her, she couldn't hear anything. People ran, explosions occurred, none of it mattered. The world was like it was muted. For Ryujin, there wasn't that the world was muted, but simply a world without Yuna meant there was no world for her to live on.

She stayed on the ground waiting. She looked at her hand expectantly. Any second now she would fade now too. She just had to. The longer it took, the more frustrated she got. Her hand was still intact and full.

"Come on already!!"

Unaware of the situation around her, the chaos built up. There were less people around as they probably faded or took shelter somewhere else. Though there was still danger everywhere. A car lost it's driver and on it's path, lay Ryujin. Eventually, the vehicle came within close proximity and that's when Ryujin noticed.

"WATCH OUT!"

Ryujin could feel her body in pain. She opened her eyes to see the car crash into the wall nearby. Then she felt the pressure on her body. Someone had pushed her out of the way.

"Are you okay?" the girl asked.

Ryujin didn't have any will to answer and stared at her savior. She looked a little tired.

The girl didn't have time to idle around. She stood up and offered her hand. "Come on, we have to go somewhere a little less dangerous."

Ryujin stared at the open hand. She didn't look like she was interested in moving at all. Ryujin spoke under her shallow breath. "..you should have just let me die.."

The girl kneeled to listen better. "I'm sorry, what was that?"

"..you should have just let me die.." Ryujin's eyes were empty and dark. No ounce of hope in them.

The girl remained silent pondering on what words she should put together. She didn't want to further press more stress into the broken down girl in front of her. Instead of a response, the girl decided to pull Ryujin in for a hug. The contact caused Ryujin weep into the girl's shoulder. The girl idly waited for the girl to let it all out and for her to calm down.

When Ryujin was ready she gave some space between her and the girl. Her breathing was uneven and fragmented due to her hyperventilation. The girl pulled her long sleeve down to grip with her hand. She dabbed lightly on Ryujin's face to wipe away the tears.

"..thank you." Was all Ryujin could say. She felt bad as she felt that 'thank you' didn't encompass everything she was grateful for.

"No problem.. umm.. sorry, what's your name?"

"Ryujin."

"I'm Heejin."

She had an inviting smile.