Chapter 2

╔═══════════════╗

New Nights

╚═══════════════╝

There was a time where people didn't know what to do. They lost those who faded and for those who were left behind, it felt like a part of themselves were taken away too. During this period, morale and happiness were low. There wasn't much meaning to life other than asking why.

People wondered what gave them the right to stay compared to those who vanished. It wasn't fair. There were others who believed they deserved to perish as well, but fate didn't agree.

Those who remained were considered survivors. Even though they weren't the ones that faded away, it still felt like it rained hell on everyone on Earth. Many people had varying degrees of trauma, which affected most of their daily lives and without many psychologists left, many people just had to live with it's effects.

Nightmares were the most prevalent occurrence that these survivors had to endure. Every night, the same deal. Their consciousness would fade back to that fateful day. That nightmare. A lot of people hoped it was only a nightmare, but when they woke up, they would remember they were still living in it.

Ryujin pushed herself forward from her bed in a cold sweat. Her breath was uneven and her mouth was dry. It took a few seconds to realize she had her recurring nightmare. She drank some water from the cup on the night stand then pulled out her phone.

 She drank some water from the cup on the night stand then pulled out her phone

She put up the phone to her ear as the ringer did it's rhythmic ringing.

"..hello?" the voice lacked energy.

"Sorry, did I wake you?" Ryujin asked.

"No, don't worry about it. Why what's up?"

Ryujin knew she was lying to make her feel less guilty. Her voice sounded drained, but sincerely concerned. Ryujin grinned.

"I just want some company."

"Want or need?"

"..."

"..."

"..need." She said quietly.

Heejin smirked. "I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you, what was that?"

"Is it too much to ask for my best friend to come over?"

"Sorry, let me clarify. What did you need?"

"I want you to—"

"Nuh uh. What did you say?"

"I want—"

"Nope."

Ryujin reluctantly sighed. "I need you to come over."

"Was that so hard?" Heejin teased.

"No..."

"Then can you do me a favor?"

"Mmm?"

"Open your door, I'm already here."

Ryujin curiously looked at her phone, hung up, then went to open her door. She checked the peephole and there she was.

She opened the door. "How did you get here so fast?" Ryujin was led to believe she may have some sort of magical powers.

"You already know I don't live that far away. Plus why else would you call?"

Ryujin didn't want to seem like an open book. "Maybe I was throwing you a surprise birthday party! Did you ever think of that?"

Heejin observed the room. "Wow, how convincing, love what you've done with the place. So tell me, when's my birthday?"

"October 19th."

"What's today?"

"July.."

Heejin didn't need to say anymore. "So what did you need?"

"I had the nightmare again.."

Heejin acknowledged her response and opened Ryujin's fridge. She threw the tub of ice cream for Ryujin to catch. "Come on, let's go watch your favorite, Hotel Del Luna." Heejin jumped on the couch in front of the TV and patted the spot next to her.

Ryujin shyly smiled as she took the seat next to Heejin. She almost always knows what to do to make her feel better and Ryujin loved her— appreciated her for that.

Heejin and Ryujin were the best couch potatoes on the planet right now. Enjoying ice cream and watching dramas. Heejin seemed to be very engaged in this drama as she didn't have much time to watch these kinds of shows. Meanwhile, Ryujin had trouble focusing on her favorite drama as the girl next to her kept her distracted for some reason.

The two binged through multiple episodes and eventually Ryujin noticed something near Heejin's mouth. It was some dried ice cream.

Ryujin tapped Heejin and pointed at herself like a mirror. "You have something.."

Heejin was about to wipe it with a nearby napkin, but Ryujin's hand was already there to wipe it off. Heejin stayed still, letting her do her thing. As Ryujin wiped off most of it, she couldn't help but gravitate her eyes to the pair of lips next to it. Heejin noticed her eyes wandered and for once, this cool and composed girl went shy. Heejin turned pink as Ryujin slowly moved closer.

Ryujin connected their lips together which threw Heejin way off guard. Yet, she didn't seem to mind as she pushed back.

There was something about this that felt familiar. It was something Ryujin hasn't felt in a while, this warmhearted sensation. This affection was something she missed a lot.

The night carried on with TV on and in peaceful silence. For once, Ryujin felt she wouldn't go to sleep in fear of a nightmare tonight.