VERDUGO

jp name

ヴェルデューゴ (Verudyūgo)

Biological information

Based: Human/Insect

Height: Over 8 feet (244 cm)

Height: 8 feet 5 inches (257 cm)

Mass: 420 lbs.

Development information

Date of creation: 2004

Created via: Gene splicing

Purpose: Bodyguards of Ramon Salazar

Status: Deceased

The Verdugos, Spanish for "Executioner," were B.O.W.s created by Los Iluminados to serve as personal bodyguards or the right-hand men of Ramon Salazar.

The Verdugo is a horrific humanoid B.O.W. that appears in Resident Evil 4. Created through a combination of human and insect gene splicing and Plaga infection, two of these creatures were seen during the events described in the Kennedy Report, serving as the bodyguards of Illuminados member, Ramon Salazar.

History

The Verdugos were created through the splicing of insect DNA into the genome of human testsubjects which had been parasitised by Plagas.

The Verdugos were created by a fusion of human and insect DNA implanted with Plagas. Two Verdugos, presumably the only two in existence, served as Ramon Salazar's bodyguards. They concealed their mutated forms beneath voluminous, resplendent Los Iluminados cloaks, with one wearing red and the other wearing black.

When Leon survived a booby trap in The castle, the diminutive master of the castle sent his red-cloaked Verdugo to kill the intruder personally. The Verdugo cornered Leon in the sewers under the castle, but the former Raccoon Police Department officer managed to kill or evade it. The black-cloaked Verdugo remained at Salazar's side, eventually fusing with its master and the Queen Plaga to fight Leon, only for them to be killed.

The first Verdugo would attack by charging with its claws and by hiding on the ceiling or beneath the floor then striking with its claws and tail. Its armoured chitin could deflect small arms fire and was resistant to incendiary and frag grenades. However, Leon was able to defeat the Verdugo using canisters of liquid nitrogen located in the sewer tunnel. Exposure to the nitrogen caused the Verdugo's exoskeleton to become brittle, allowing Leon to damage it with his weapons. After taking so much damage while frozen, the Verdugo's body shattered.

The second Verdugo was fused with Ramon Salazar and the Queen Plaga when Leon confronted Salazar in the Illuminados tower.

Biology

When first encountered by Leon S. Kennedy, the Verdugo wore robes adorned with the Illuminados insignia which hid their grotesque bodies from view. Their faces were partially visible beneath their hoods and they clearly weren't human, possessing glowing eyes and large mandibles. When one of the Verdugo pursued Leon into the sewer beneath Castle Salazar, Leon could see it in all its repulsive detail: segmented, chitinous limbs, two razor-sharp claws at the end of each arm, and a long, scorpion-like tail ending in a bladed tip.

Bibliography

Hamamura, Koichi, ed (2006) (in Japanese). biohazard4 kaitaishinsho revised edition. Famitsu. ISBN 978-4-7577-2638-3.

Verdugo is a boss fought in the sewers in Chapter 4-1 of Resident Evil 4. Verdugo has a health value of 20,000HP, making it one of the most robust enemies in the game. Killing the creature without knowing its weaknesses will require a large amount of ammunition and healing items. Fortunately, the player has the freedom to escape down an elevator without having to defeat Verdugo, helping them save ammunition. If the player does not kill it, it never re-appears and Ramon Salazar will be left with only one bodyguard. If the player does kill it, they will be rewarded with the crown jewel. In the HD re-releases, they will also be given the "A Terrifying Assassin" award.

Moveset

Verdugo can perform five unique attacks in this game, the last three of which can be avoided.

Attack Damage Description

Claw attack (ツメ攻撃 Tsume kōgeki?) 650 Verdugo slashes Leon with its claws when he is pressed against a wall.

Claw attack (when frozen) (ツメ攻撃(凍結時) Tsume kōgeki (tōketsu-ji)?) 300 Verdugo brings up enough strength to strike Leon while frozen.

Jump claw attack (跳びツメ攻撃 Tobi tsume kōgeki?) 650 Verdugo jumps into the air and slashes Leon on landing. This can be avoided with the action button.

Tail attack (シッポ攻撃 Shippo kōgeki?) 650x4 Verdugo throws its tail at Leon four times. These can be avoided with the action button.

Surprise attack (奇襲攻撃 Kishū kōgeki?) 650 Verdugo stabs its tail through grates in the floor and ceiling. This can be avoided with the action button.

Strategies

Before the battle starts, Verdugo will stalk the player as they go to the power room. It will either attack from above or below and the player must dodge via quick time event. Verdugo will reveal itself after the power is restored and the player attempts to leave the room. The shutter will activate and the player will be stuck in the room for a set amount of time. After the shutter opens, the player will then need to wait for the elevator if they wish to escape (the shutter and elevator open and arrive instantly if the player defeats Verdugo that fast so they don't have to wait).

During the battle, the player can knock over the red liquid nitrogen canisters scattered about the area to freeze the creature and render it temporarily vulnerable for a few seconds. The player can kick Verdugo via action command when it is initially frozen. After a varied amount of time, the Verdugo will break out of its nitrogen casing and return to normal again. While frozen, it receives tripled damage and a direct hit from a Rocket Launcher will be an instant kill. It is advised that the player saves the Rocket Launcher found in the glass weapon cabinet in the gallery in Chapter 3-3 for this fight.

This mutation looks scary and cool.

It is also one of the hardest boss fights of the game Resident Evil 4.

I never played the game.

Verdugo is one hell of a monster with razor sharp claws and a long bladed tail.

It looks like this thing can take hits from any thing.

Though it looks like Verdugo's only strong weakness is liquid nitrogen.

Verdugo is tough, and probably killed players many times, but can Verdugo defeat this other long bladed tail creature?