Part Five -Hide and Seek

The ranger Halt O'Carrick, stopped on the bank of the stream and considered the problem for the hundredth time.
He had been canvassing the ground for an eternity, trying to find some clue as to Will's intended direction but since he and Gilan had split up, not a trace of his young Apprentice had turned up. 
Hopefully that meant that Gilan had found the trail then. Maybe he should go back and see.
Then he shook his head determinedly, fighting down his anxiety. He needed to work on his side, and trust his former apprentice to do the job on the other end. If he only had some idea what had happened..And if it were easier to track a ranger.
Abelard lifted his head from the stream and nickered suddenly.Halt scanned the terrain hopefully,but saw nothing. Yet his horse continued to listen.

"What is it, boy?" He murmured, rubbing a hand over the horse's forehead softly, thinking hard. He trusted Abelard, a ranger had to rely on his horse  in many instances.
Following the creatures gaze to the forest, he made up his mind quickly.
He led his friend to a good spot of grazing, and then lifted his cloaks hood over his head before stepping into the forest.

Soft greens closed over him comfortingly.  It was still and cool there..too still, he realized, straining his ears for the normal woodland sounds-and not because he had entered.
Following his instinct Halt remained concealed, listening.
A Bush moved ever so slightly.
Narrowing his eyes, he slid into the shadows, beginning to circle the forest, enabling him to come up behind whoever was there.
The thought that it might be Will made him almost call his apprentice's name aloud but he brought himself up short, disgusted at himself. This could also be the reason Will had disappeared..for all he knew.
Halt made it half way, before a sigh of sound caught his ear, but from another direction. Someone else?
  Slipping an arrow out he nocked it on the string and moved cautiously,  every nerve alive to the forest.
  It took time, but he made it to a good vantage point where he could see the bush in question; no one was there. Then his brow furrowed. But they had been, by the grass that was still pressed down.

Then he heard another sound, coming from his left and realized-the person was also hunting him. A dull anger burned in his chest. If this person unknown was the cause behind Will's disappearance,  they were going to regret every last second of their lives.

And so Master and Apprentice began their deadly game of hide and seek.

>>>--->

Gilan, meanwhile, was riding slowly back to the meeting ground. He was hot, tired, and all around discouraged. No sign of Will had appeared, and he hoped heartily the kid was alright.
Please let Halt have found him.

To his further consternation,  the river bank was empty. Except for Abelard.
Dismounting, he walked over to the horse and patted him while looking about for a sign of Halt.

"Where's Halt, old boy?"

Abelard rolled an eye and snorted disdainfully,  munching grass. Gilan grinned, feeling a little sheepish.
"Well, I'll just have a look around then, if you dont mind."

Halt must have been in the woods, and not far off, if he left Abelard. Accordingly, Gilan headed into them following the direction of Halt's last boot print.