Scars~ two

Two

"This is Bo Burnham." An animated voice echoed through my ears. A red spotlight flashed onto the stage, and there he sat, on a stool, flipping through a notebook. My heart immediately soared, and I felt so deliriously overjoyed to be here.

"He's 22 years old. He's a male. And he looks like the genetic product of a giraffe having sex with Ellen DeGeneres." The electronic voice sputtered. I laughed loudly, covering my mouth out of habit as Bo continued, unfazed by the comments of the disembodied voice, to flip through the pages of his notebook.

"He has a gigantic head and tiny nipples." The voice spoke again, making Madeleine laugh harder than I had at the Ellen DeGeneres line. The voice continued to somewhat roast Bo as it talked about his pursuit of comedy.

"You will die alone. And you will deserve it." The voice said. My smile faltered ever so slightly, when I thought back to the scars on my arm, and to whoever it was doing that to themselves and why. My attention was drawn quickly back into the show happening in front of me when Bo closed the notebook, and an intense and loud beat dropped. He threw his notebook aside, jumped from his stool, and ran up grabbing the microphone and dancing like an absolute maniac. My eyes watched as both him and the lights flickered around the stage, and Madeleine beside me "woo"'d loudly.

Bo pulled down his hood and simultaneously stopped jumping around, doing only a small movement that reminded me of the avatars in Street Fighter.

"Welcome to the show. This is Bo, this is his show, and Bo wants to dance like this." He did the simplest move with his arms and Madeleine cackled. The song continued, and I felt myself start to tap my hands on my thighs to the beat.

"Welcome to the show. This is Bo, this is his show, and Bo takes off his pants like this!" Bo ripped off his baggy red tear-away pants to reveal... yet another pair of baggy red tear-away pants. Madeleine grabbed my arm as she bent over, and we laughed hard, occasionally wheezing.

The intro went to many different sides. Such as playing an invisible trumpet (trumpet sound!) then spitting water into the crowd. I could already tell that this was going to be a very... interesting experience to say the least. He started dancing again, while his pre-recorded vocals sang in the background: "Bo wants to make you feel comfortable." I looked over at Madeleine, and leaned over to say another thank you to her.

"So sit back relax and enjoy, a healthy dose of-" the next thing I knew, I spotlight had landed on me. I looked back up to the stage and Bo was staring at me, as "prolonged eye contact" sang incessantly in the background. My eyes went wide and I tried to keep eye contact, but so many things were happening at once.

For one, a spotlight, and therefore attention, was on me, which made me violently uncomfortable. For another, which I'm realizing now, this is the shooting for the Netflix special, so camera's were on me along with eyes from all around the theatre. And, I was looking the one and only Bo burnham dead in the eyes, laughing my ass off. I couldn't tell if I wanted this to end right away, or if I wanted to freeze time and keep looking into his eyes.

After what felt like an hour, he looked back straight out to the audience and the spotlight turned off, and he smiled and waved a hand that said "I'm just kidding haha". I turned to Madeleine.

"Oh my god that was so-" but then of course the spotlight came BACK on me, as another segment of "prolonged eye contact" rang through the room.

I felt the heat of the spotlight, and of my cheeks, when he began walking towards the edge of the stage. He reached down towards his.. uhm.. pants.. while still making direct eye contact. I felt my smile reaching impossible lengths as my awkward laugh sounded right next to Madeleine's ear (who was absolutely fucking dying by the way). His cheeks, I noticed, were also tinted a dark red. This must be awkward on both ends.

"Lick your lips to make it more comforting." The voice instructed. Bo did just that, then quickly ran away to the other side of the stage. I turned to Madeleine again, and her face was red from laughing so hard.

"Holy shit." I said, my laughter small and wheezy.

As the show continued, I found myself making eye contact with Bo, only sometimes prolonged. There were points where it happened and I forced myself to look away, feeling tense but also lighter than ever. I noticed that we made a lot of eye contact during his more... sexual songs. Especially during Left Brain, Right Brain. Here are some examples:

"Holy fuck! I think she might be the one! There's something about her, I just can't describe it.."

"Tits."

Or, the classic:

"And I'm lookin for somebody to love-and put my penis in."

Or my personal favourite:

"Sit. Sit on my face!"

Let's just say I left the theatre feeling... different.