Part 34

Chapter 34

The next day was awkward to say the least. When I got down to breakfast the following day which was Monday, I couldn't make eye contact with Franklin. I didn't want to see any hurt that he was feeling. And I know the others could feel there was something up.

After I ate, I excused myself from the table. Marek tried to get up, but I shook my head at him. He reluctantly let me go.

That didn't mean I wasn't followed. "Hey Hope, wait up." Zander called from behind me. I did slow down a little for him. He was just trying to be my friend. "What's wrong? You guys aren't normally that awkward around each other."

I shook my head. "Nothing is going on."

He grabbed my arm and brought us to a halt. "You never lie, but you just did. Now I'm very worried."

We were near my room. I felt like I was tearing up again. Zander gently looped his arm around my shoulder and guided me the rest of the way to my room. He closed the door and took me to my bed.

He took my face in my hands. "You were so happy the other night, now you look heartbroken. Please tell me what's happened."

My tears finally spilled over. "I don't want to lose a friend." I choked out.

He moved to hold me and stroked my hair. "There's no way you'd lose any friends." he soothed. "Why would you think you lost a friend?"

"B-b-because I didn't feel the way he does."

Zander sat back. "He?" Zander was searching my face. I could see a brief dark look in his face, but not like what I've seen before. Something had changed in him. I have known that, but not seen how much.

Zander looked more before he spoke again. "Who and what did he do? He didn't hurt you did he?"

I shook my head. "No, I hurt him by not feeling the same way toward him. Apparently he has liked me for a very long time, but never showed it till that night."

"Who?" Zander asked softly as he moved a strand of my hair behind my ear.

I looked up at him and shook my head. "No. I don't want you to go after him because of what happened. I don't want him beaten to a pulp."

Zander sighed. "Shh, lovely. I won't. You have my word. I won't beat anyone up or touch a hair on their head. How about we change the subject? Class doesn't start for another half an hour."

"You're different." I blurted out before I covered my mouth.

Zander threw his head back. "Wow. I wasn't expecting that subject." His laughs slowly calmed. "Yes I would say I am nicer than before." He grinned down at me. "I think it's you that has tamed the dark beast within me."

"When...?" I bit my lip not knowing how to continue my question.

He grinned more cockily. "Oh look, you're curious." Then he tapped his chin. "If I had to say, I felt calmer since Halloween. Come to think of it, it was when I closed my eyes and sent my advance element out. Like something inside me just slipped away. I can't explain it."

I smiled at him. "Well, I like the new you."

He raised a cocky eyebrow. "Enough to dump Marek for?"

I pouted. "Are we back to that? I thought you understood. I like Marek. I like him a great deal. I'm not going to break up with him."

He shrugged. "I'll keep trying."

I sighed and giggled. "You're incorrigible." I shook my head getting up.

He chuckled. "That's my charm my dear."

I turned to see him laying back in my bed as he folded his hands behind his head. He looks so comfortable. I shook my head at him as I started to find all my supplies for class.

I paused and glanced over at him. "Thank you."

He shook his head still laying down on my bed. "Nah. I'm glad you're not upset anymore." He looked over at me with a serious look. "Please don't think you've lost a friend. I bet he doesn't feel like he'd stop being your friend. He may be disappointed, but I bet he understands."

I sigh. "I hope so. You have no idea how hard it was for me back home to have friends. He does. He's watched me struggle for years. He understands me better than I think anyone does."

Zander grabs my hand and covers it with both of his. "You still have him as a friend. There's no way he'd go through all that just stop being your friend."

I sighed picking up my bag and putting it on my shoulder. "I wish I was more confident."

He kissed my hand. "You are, just stop worrying so much. Just take a deep breathe and push passed that worry. It does you no good but hurts you."

I smiled at him. "You're right. And I'll try."

He hopped up. "Well good." He draped an arm around my shoulders. "Now let's get to class."

I looked around him. "What about your stuff?"

He chuckled. "I'm an upperclassman. I just mist what I need for each class."

I shook my head at him. "That's being a bit lazy you know."

He grinned mischievously as he shrugged. "What's the harm in not being burdened with books?"

I shook my head at him. He was one of a kind. There was no doubt about that.

I looked up and saw Marek coming up the stairs. I slipped out from under Zander's arm and skipped down the stairs. Marek smiled as I did and he stopped. I smiled back.

He took my hands and laced our fingers together easily. "You okay? You seem better."

I bit my lip and nodded. "I just needed some time. I fell better."

He leaned up and gave me a quick peck. "I'm so glad." He turned and walked me to my class.

The day went by better. Franklin and I did talk during one of the few classes we had together. He wanted to make sure I was alright. I wanted to make sure he was. We kind of laughed at how silly we were, but both so happy the other was alright.