74. ready to run

by: rauqthetommo

❁❀✿❁❀✿❁❀✿❁❀✿❁❀✿❁❀✿❁❀✿❁❀✿❁❀✿❁

Richie got more and more proud of Eddie every day.

He'd picked up running in high school and had quickly blown the rest of the track and field team out of the fucking water, breaking records and getting offered scholarships left and right. It had been incredible for Richie to be able to watch Eddie blossom from the scared, sick little boy with two fanny packs, to clown killing badass, to college-bound track star.

                                    ***

Eddie's last track meet at the high school was on a warm Thursday in June, and he blasted through the finish line yards ahead of the other competitors, breaking a speed record for the school. His team cheered him on and clapped him on the back as he walked over to the bench, and Richie watched him with tears in his eyes and a smile on his face, his love for Eddie weighing down his heart deep in his chest.

                                    ***

Richie waited for Eddie in the locker room like he always did, sitting on the bench by Eddie's sports locker and kicking his legs back and forth.

The rest of the team stumbled in before Eddie, which wasn't surprising. A lot of talent scouts were at that meet, so the coach probably wanted Eddie to meet and talk to them, so he could pick whichever school offered him the best scholarship.

"Eddie ran great today, Rich." One of Eddie's teammates, Greg, said casually, tossing his backpack in his locker.

"Yeah," Richie agreed, turning his head so he didn't have to watch all of the guys undress.

He might have been gay, but he wasn't a creep, and no one could could hold a candle to Eddie, not in his book, anyway.

"He'll have his pick of the litter when it comes to schools," Another teammate (maybe Kevin?) said.

"If I could run like that, I'd get the fuck out of Derry, and fast." Briar, the hurdles guy, slammed his locker shut loudly. "Better watch out, Trashmouth. Eddie might ditch you for the next model." He patted Richie on the shoulder as he walked by, smiling at him before disappearing around the corner and out into the hall.

"Don't listen to him, Richie." Maybe Kevin said when he noticed Richie's frown. "Eddie would never ditch you. He's lucky we haven't strangled him already, he never shuts the fuck up about you."

"That's true," One of the boys said.

"It's actually pretty annoying," Another mumbled.

"Thanks, man." Richie turned to smile up at Maybe Kevin as he clapped him on the shoulder.

"No problem. See you around,"

"See ya,"

                                    ***

Richie stayed on his seat in the locker room while the whole team filed out, and even waited an additional 15 minutes until Eddie finally showed up.

He was still sweaty from his meet, which he was clearly unhappy about, scowling and dragging his hand through his dirty hair as he rounded the corner into Richie's line of sight. "Hey, Eds!" He smiled.

"Hey, Rich." Eddie jumped a little, placing his hand over his heart. "You scared me, man."

"Sorry," Richie watched as Eddie unlocked his locker and tossed his bag inside. "How'd it go with the talent scouts?"