07 | MICHAEL

trigger warning: violence & self-harm

I paced the front foyer. I was terrified, nervous, and apprehensive. My stomach had butterflies - but not the good kind. The ones that gnawed at your intestines until you felt like you were about to puke.

Arms snaked around my waist from behind and I knew it was Luke. "Relax, baby. It's okay." He cooed in my ear. I swiveled my head and pecked his lips, smiling.

There was a car horn. My mother rushed to the front door and swung it open, beaming. She was so excited for him to come home, but I wasn't. For some reason, my mother was convinced he'd be a-okay with me being gay. I, on the other hand, am pretty sure he's going to whip me with his belt until I can't feel my bum.

He didn't go on a business trip. I lied. He left us. He walked out when I was 15 - so, three years ago, the image of my perfect father was torn. For those three oh-so-lovely years, I wouldn't allow anyone to come over my house, even Luke. I told him my dad was on lots of trips, for "work" and that he'd be gone for weeks at end. I shut everyone out.

My mother went insane. She kept telling me he was coming back.

Well, she was right. In the doorway, in a fancy button-down shirt, dress pants, and dress shoes, stood my father. Should I even call him that?

"Daryl." I said, stepping forward. His features hardened for one haste second, but then softened. What a joke. "I mean, dad."

I winced as he hugged me, making it known that he didn't like what I just said by digging his fingernails into my side lightly.

"Luke, is that you?" My dad laughed, shaking Luke's hand. "I haven't seen you in so long."

"That's me, sir." Luke nodded politely. "Welcome home!" It was so cute that he was being kind, but he shouldn't. My dad will get a bad impression and take advantage of him.

"Dinner is getting cold, come on!" Karen urged. We followed her to the table, Luke and I beside each other on one side, my parents on the either. My dad made sure to sit right across from me, so eye contact was unavoidable.

"Mike has some news to tell you, sweetheart." My mom glanced at me.

I shook my head vigorously, "No! It's okay, mum. I can tell him later."

"No, tell him now!"

"Mum, no... please, later."

"Tell me." My dad ordered harshly. "Now, Michael."

Luke, oblivious to the stern tone he used, shot me a reassuring look and intertwined our hands underneath the table. "Well..." I began, inhaling deeply. "I'm gay and Luke is my boyfriend...?" It came out sounding more like a question than a statement.

It was silent for a second. "I'm fine with that." Daryl shrugged. My mom was thrilled. "I'm proud of you for coming out, son."

Son.

-

The rest of the night went smoothly. There were a few remarks, about me, my appearance, my hair, my grades - from my father, of course. Who else? But every time my face fell, Luke squeezed my hand and pecked my cheek.

It was time for Luke to go home, sadly, I wish he could stay. But my mum insisted the rest of break was family time, strictly family time. "Goodnight, Lucas Roberto." I giggled, kissing him passionately.

He pulled away and blushed furiously. "I love you, Michael Gordon."

"I love you too, babe."

I returned back inside. It was eerily quiet. I assumed my parents had gone to bed, so I headed to the kitchen to get a glass of water before bed.

My dad was sitting at the table. I jumped. I didn't know he was there. "Oh, hi dad."

"Sit down, Mikey."

I nervously slid into the seat beside him, my hand shaking. "Um... what's up?"

A second went by before he leaned over and slapped me across the face. My hand flew up and I gripped it, the stinging unbearable. "What the fuck?!"

"I lied at dinner." He scoffed. "Gay is not okay. I want you to never see that Luke boy again, understood?" I nodded. "Get out of my sight you pathetic faggot."

I stumbled away from him and up the stairs and straight into the bathroom, locking the door behind me. I took out the razors and washed all the pain away.

It was needed.

-

A/N

:-( I love u mikey

Edited July 2019