CHAPTER SIX: AT THE EDGE

I fall on the couch next to Kory with a content smile as she handles me the much-needed coffee. We had met only a couple of months ago, not under the most ideal circumstances, but I had missed her terribly. Kory was one of those people whose presence was enough to make you feel better. The Tamaran beauty was really a smoothing presence after last night's events, as well as a voice of reason.

"That was a wild night."

"Kinda our thing, we haven't had a normal night since we met."

"Normal nights are overrated" Kory concludes with a smile. "I know you hate to be asked this, but, are you okay?"

"I'm fine. I'm more worried about Jason. Nearly dying isn't something foreign to me, it was never that close, but it's not something I haven't made my peace with before."

"Jason will be fine." She says, and I know she's trying to convince us both. "He's a lucky kid to have you by his side."

"He's an ass. But you grow fond of him. Anyway, enough about pity. What about you? Did you like Florida?"

"I didn't make it to Florida. Someone visited."

"Do we have more Tamarian royalty on earth?"

"No, my old bodyguard. He's... well, he's my ex."

"Oh. You life gets more and more interesting."

"I think I could be good with dull for a while." Kory smiles, yet her smile held something sad to it.

"If you came looking for dull, I don't think this is the right place."

She chuckles, and we fall into silence, a comfortable one. Kory was caring, yet she knew to not push. She probably was the only one in the building that had asked once about my state, and even though she knew I lied to her, the silence of comfort was enough for her.

We stay there until she decides to go check on her fellow alien, Conner, the guy that saved Jason. She wasn't crazy about spending time with the Titans, even though she was keen on talking with Donna again. The silent bargain the old Titans held was a secret to everyone but them, and well, now Kat.

Jericho's death, if you asked, was more an accident than a murder. Even though Dick wouldn't see it like that, he didn't pull the trigger, or swing the blade. Jericho made a choice, his choice to save Dick. Granted, he wasn't without blame, he had befriended him and used him. But that's not something I had the privilege to judge.

Deathstroke wasn't my business, nor my fight. He had assured me that much. But he also took one of my kids, chained him to a chair and dropped him from a skyscraper. Jason wasn't open. No kid from the street was. No kid raised with the Batman was. He didn't want to talk about it, but he would. Eventually, just like he had started to call her weekly, even nearly daily. One of the highlights of their week.

"Where's Dick?" Rachel asks, coming to stand behind the sofa.

"No clue. He left, he'll come back. He's grown."

"You think he's okay? After you and Jason?"

"It's Dick, it took several death or life situations for him to admit he wasn't okay last time. He wants to dot his alone, I'm not getting involved."

"How much are you going to hate me if I ask you how are you feeling?"

"Nearly as much as I hated you when you ran away from me back when we met." She smiles and i make space next to me for her. "I'm fine. I'm probably lying, and I'm not sure that I still don't have a concussion with how much my head hurts. But, i'll be fine. As soon as all of you are safe, we'll be fine."