2.

2.

"Remind me why you're not taking me home today?" Zoey asked with her arms crossed. They were standing in the parking lot in front of Victor's car.

"I have to go to another mattress store today. The last one kicked me out for venting while trying to find a bed."

Zoey laughed and rolled her eyes.

"Ok, tío. I'll see you later." Zoey looked around the parking lot and saw a few people left. She quickly ran towards someone getting into their car.

"Hey, Brooke!"

--

Back at Pat's, Zoey sat at a table doing homework while Brooke was at the bar getting their coffee.

Ashley came in, looking around quickly. She saw Zoey and walked over.

"Hey, prima. Have you seen Brooke around, anywhere?"

Zoey nodded and pointed to the bar where an employee was handing her their coffee. Brooke came over and sat down, handing Zoey her cup.

"Hey, Ash. What's up?"

"So I've been thinking about your offer, there's more to life than just work! And maybe I could use a pointer here or there-" Brooke cut her off.

"You totally met a guy," She said smugly and she and Zoey exchanged a look. Ashley scoffed unconvincingly.

"No, I just want to be ready. Please, you know everything! Be my yoda," Ashley asked. Brooke smiled. "I hope you're calling me that because I'm wise and not because of my skin."

"Brooke, honey, nobody's skin is better than yours. It's obviously for your wisdom," Zoey chimed in. She closed her binder and packed up her bag.

"Thank you!"

"No problem," Zoey laughed. "But I gotta go, I'll see you chicas later."

--

Zoey was lying down on her bed, her head hanging off of the bed. She was staring at a blank canvas.

She heard a knock on the door and looked over. Her abuelo, Lorenzo Flores, was standing at the door, holding his phone.

"Niña, ayudame. I don't know how to put in the Wi-Fi. "

Zoey chuckled and sat up. "Damelo."

He handed her his phone and she put in the Wi-Fi password.

"Gracias, Chica. How was school today?" He asked. Zoey sighed. "Ugh. The worst. They gave me so much homework today, abuelo."

He chuckled. "You love your classes and you're too smart to be complaining about something that's never been a problem for you. That's not what's wrong, is it?" Zoey shook her head with a smile.

"No, it's not." She sighed. "It's this dumb project I have to do. My teacher asked me to paint a member of my family." At her abuelo's look, she quickly said, "That's not it either! I know who I'm going to paint, it's just," She bit the inside of her cheek, "everyone else is painting their mom or their dad."

Lorenzo looked at her sadly as she continued. "I knew that this was going to be hard from the start," She began to tear up, "but at this point it doesn't feel like either of them want me anymore." Tears fell down her face.

Lorenzo hugged her tightly as she continued. "It's been 3 years, abuelo. I haven't heard from either of them in months."

"I don't know, niña. I don't know what's going on. But you know that we will always love you. Me, your abuela, Victor. We all love you." Zoey sniffed and pulled out of the hug, wiping at her eyes.

"Lo sé, abuelo. Gracias."