Chapter Three: Mel and Matthew.

"Go for him," Her mother told her, "I'll fix the rest, but bring him back!"

Mel obliged without paying attention to Mr. Dursley's screams.

"Harry!" She ran down the street, chasing the figure ahead of her. "Stop! You can stay with us while–!"

"I won't go back to them!"

She came into a halt, panting.

"You're leaving for real?"

It was Harry's time to stop and turn to look at her. His eyes drifted to some point in the distance and he sat right there, in the middle of Magnolia St. He was breathing heavily, still pretty mad, and she approached with caution.

"You promised-"

"I know," He snapped.

"It doesn't look like it," She frowned.

Mel sat next to him, knowing it would be better to wait until Harry calmed down. It was getting late, and soon enough the street would be freezing cold and abandoned, she had to take him home. She watched him quietly as Harry's face changed from anger to worry until his features settled on the worst: Determination.

He was looking at his wand, his free hand slowly moving towards his trunk.

"I know what you're thinking," Mel said. "It's not a good idea."

"You don't know what I'm thinking," He replied defensively, though he'd blushed, "it's the only option I have-"

"That's not true!" She replied in exasperation, "Running away? My house is right there! My mum and I could keep you safe!"

She reached for the hand that was holding the wand and held it tightly, pleading that he'd listen to her, trying to ignore the shivers that ran up her spine by their contact.

"Please," Mel insisted, "come back..."

"I want to stay... but..." 

He was really close to her face –Or was it her the one getting closer? She couldn't tell, she'd even forgotten what she wanted to say. His eyes were so close, Mel liked his eyes, they were green, not boring brown like hers; Harry was so pretty, so... him.

A noise similar to branches being stepped on distracted her from her daydream, Harry must have heard it too, since he'd stiffened in his place. 

The noise came back, louder this time. Both kids stood up and look at the same narrow and dark corner, Harry had his wand ready.

"Lumos! " He whispered.

Mel gasped, taken aback by the sudden sight of a large, black dog standing there just... staring.

Harry stepped back in surprise, tripping on his trunk and falling backward, his wand flew out of his hand. It all happened too fast, one moment she was looking at the dog and the other a loud explosion made close her eyes as she tried to cover her body from... whatever that was.

When she looked up, she found herself standing a few feet away from a large, purple bus. A boy, a few years older than them, walked out of it and started speaking in a monotone voice.

"Welcome to the Knight Bus, emergency transport for the stranded witch or wizard. Just stick out your wand hand, step on board, and we can take you anywhere you want to go. My name is Stan Shunpike, and I will be your conductor this eve —" 

He stopped, his eyes fixed on Harry's figure still on the ground.

"What were you doin' down there?" He asked.