Chapter Twenty-One: Timing for a Miracle.

"What amazes me most is the behavior of the dementors... you've really no idea what made them retreat, Snape?"

"No, Minister... by the time I had come 'round they were heading back to their positions at the entrances..."

"Extraordinary. And yet Black, and Harry, and the girl —"

"All unconscious by the time I reached them. I bound and gagged Black, naturally, conjured stretchers, and brought them all straight back to the castle."

Mel felt terribly lightheaded, her body was there but her mind was floating on her right, not many things made sense. Which Dementors? What about Black? Harry and which girl?

Then it came to her. She'd pulled out the piece of metal and was bleeding out, Pettigrew had escaped, Black was injured, her uncle had run off, and Ron...

"Ron needs help..." She grumbled half-awake. "Snape–"

She tried to sit up and sudden dizziness made her doubled on the bed and she leaned to her left, where she threw up bile. Madam Pomfrey rushed over. She was carrying a big chunk of chocolate but it only grossed her out more. She scrunched up her nose and threw up a second time.

"Now now, child," Pomfrey told her sort of motherly-like. "You lost a lot of blood, that thing you did was very foolish– you're lucky Snape found you on time."

"I woke him up on time..." She groaned, coming back to her senses.

"I'm sure things are confusing," Pomfrey nodded, not really listening to her while she vanished the vomit with a flick of her wand. "But you'll feel better as soon as you drink this..."

The woman handed her a cup with red liquid in it, Mel stared at it with aversion.

"It's Blood replenishing potion," She explained plainly. "Like I said, you lost blood."

The girl drank half of it at once and grimaced.

"Merlin's bloody corpse," She coughed. 

"Drink the rest or you'll be vomiting again in five minutes," Was all that Pomfrey said before turning around and looking at the bed next to hers. "Ah, you're awake!"

Mel hadn't noticed Harry laying there, he was disoriented and sleepy. 

"How's Ron?" He and Hermione (who was on the bed next to Harry's) asked together.

"He'll live," Madam Pomfrey said casually. "As for you two... you'll be staying here until I'm satisfied you're — Potter, what do you think you're doing?" 

Her friend had stood up, just like she'd tried to do moments before.

"I need to see the headmaster," He said, putting his glasses back on.

"Potter, it's all right. They've got Black. He's locked away upstairs. The dementors will be performing the kiss any moment now —"

"WHAT?" Mel and Harry asked in unison.

Harry and Hermione left their beds immediately, Mel was struggling to get out without moving the bandages on her leg when the Minister and Snape walked into the Hospital Wing.

"Harry, Harry, what's this? You should be in bed — has he had any chocolate?" 

"Minister, listen!" Harry urged. "Sirius Black's innocent! Peter Pettigrew faked his own death! We saw him tonight! You can't let the dementors do that thing to Sirius, he's —"

"Harry, Harry, you're very confused, you've been through a dreadful ordeal, lie back down, now, we've got everything under control..."

"YOU HAVEN'T!" Harry said angrily, he was starting to grow rather fond of yelling, and Mel wasn't elated at that. "YOU'VE GOT THE WRONG MAN!"