Chapter Six: Bad Omens.

"Oh," said Hermione softly, "we've missed the Sorting!"

"What was all that about?" Ron muttered to Harry as they sat down.

"Later," Mel whispered, "Dumbledore's about to speak."

The elder man stood up, beaming down at his students.

"Welcome!" said Dumbledore. "Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say to you all, and as one of them is very serious, I think it best to get it out of the way before you become befuddled by our excellent feast. As you will all be aware after their search of the Hogwarts Express, our school is presently playing host to some of the dementors of Azkaban, who are here on Ministry of Magic business." 

There was a glint of annoyance in his eyes, but he didn't fully show it.

"They are stationed at every entrance to the ground, and while they are with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave school without permission. Dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises — or even Invisibility Cloaks. It is not in the nature of a dementor to understand pleading or excuses. I therefore warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. I look to the prefects, and our new Head Boy and Girl, to make sure that no student runs afoul of the dementors."

"I hope is not like last year," Mel whispered to Hermione, "I don't want to be watched all day..."

"Because someone might notice you're studying with a Slytherin?" Hermione asked sharply.

"You're not being funny," Mel pinched her arm lightly.

"On a happier note," he continued, "I am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our ranks this year. First, Professor Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher." 

Mel clapped, some students were reluctant to give him a warm welcome, she couldn't blame them, their former teachers hadn't been exactly trustworthy.

"As to our second new appointment, well, I am sorry to tell you that Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher, retired at the end of last year in order to enjoy more time with his remaining limbs. However, I am delighted to say that his place will be filled by none other than Rubeus Hagrid, who has agreed to take on this teaching job in addition to his gamekeeping duties." 

The kids burst into a round of applause, so loud that Hagrid even teared up a little, happy for all the excitement the news had brought to the students.

"We should've known!" Ron exclaimed. "Who else would have assigned us a biting book?"

"I hope he knows what he's doing, that's it," Mel said with worry.

"Well, I think that's everything of importance," said Dumbledore. "Let the feast begin!" 

_________________________

When Harry, Mel, Ron, and Hermione entered the Great Hall for breakfast the next day, Draco Malfoy, pretended to faint as they walked past, most of his friends roared with laughter.

"Ignore him," said Hermione. "Just ignore him, it's not worth it..."

"Hey!" Pansy Parkinson, yelled at them. "The dementors are coming! Woooooooo!"

In the corner of the group sat Erick, looking bored and unimpressed. When Pansy called, his eyes landed on Mel and gave a short, apologetic smile. She nodded discretely before heading to her own table and sitting next to Fred.

"New third-year course schedules," said George, passing them over. "What's up with you, Harry?" 

"Malfoy," said Ron, sitting down on George's other side and glaring over at the Slytherin table.