Chapter Thirteen: A Perfect Match.

"You'll be having almost as many extra lessons as Hermione," Harry commented happily as they walked through the hall.

"But nowhere near as much work as she has," Mel raised a brow. "Honestly, she's worn out, I worry about her well being... When are you planning to forgive her?"

Harry looked at her. He wasn't looking at her like saying 'Not now', it was more of a contemplative kind of stare, he was trying to put an actual date.

"Perhaps once I get my broom back," He concluded.

Mel was happy and at ease with his response. After her last study group with Hermione and Erick, she didn't want to disturb the good mood everyone had lately, they seemed to be lacking joy most of the time, and she didn't dare to break the spell.

They waited around five minutes for Professor Lupin to arrive, he walked into the classroom holding a big case and laid it on top of Professor Bin's desk.

"What's that?" Harry got nearer to take a better look.

"Another boggart," said Lupin. "I've been combing the castle ever since Tuesday, and very luckily, I found this one lurking inside Mr. Filch's filing cabinet. It's the nearest we'll get to a real dementor. The boggart will turn into a dementor when he sees you, so we'll be able to practice on him. I can store him in my office when we're not using him; there's a cupboard under my desk he'll like."

"Okay," said Harry.

"We're ready," Mel got up from the chair, grabbing her wand decisively.

"So..." Professor Lupin and Harry also drew out their wands. "The spell I am going to try and teach you is highly advanced magic— well beyond Ordinary Wizarding Level. It's called the Patronus Charm."

"How does it work?" 

"Well, when it works correctly, it conjures up a Patronus, which is a kind of anti-dementor — a guardian that acts as a shield between you and the dementor. The Patronus is a kind of positive force, a projection of the very things that the dementor feeds upon — hope, happiness, the desire to survive — but it cannot feel despair, as real humans can, so the dementors can't hurt it. But I must warn you, kids, that the charm might be too advanced for you. Many qualified wizards have difficulty with it."

"I like to remain hopeful," Mel smiled, walking up to her teacher.

"What does a Patronus look like?" asked Harry.

"Each one is unique to the wizard who conjures it."

"And how do you conjure it?"

"With an incantation, which will work only if you are concentrating, with all your might, on a single, very happy memory." 

Mel let out a sigh of relief. She could do that, she already had a few in mind. Still, she had to pick a powerful one, maybe one that was recent?

"Right," Harry said, his breathing a little shaky.

"The incantation is this — Expecto patronum!"

"Expecto patronum," Harry repeated, "expecto patronum."

"Expecto patronum..." Mel nodded.

"Concentrating hard on your happy memory?"

"Oh — yeah —" said Harry, looking like he sort of wasn't. "Expecto patrono — no, patronum — sorry — expecto patronum, expecto patronum —"

Something whooshed suddenly out of the end of his wand; it looked like a wisp of silvery gas.

"Did you see that?" said Harry excitedly. "Something happened!"