II.

The class was empty. Only the two of them left.

"Are you going to answer?"

Nía rolled her eyes at his tone. She would much appreciate if he didn't act like the one who should be pissed off.

"You heard. I came to finish the school year. And please keep that tone to yourself Guzmán. I'm not in the mood to fight". She tried to pass by him, but he grabbed her arm.

"You left. Just like that. And now you come back as if nothing happened?" She gave a snort of sarcasm. "What?" Guzmán asked at her reaction.

"I left because of my dad and I also came back because of him. Not because of you". Nía looked away while saying it, because the feeling of saying those words to him made her hurt.

"I called you for weeks and you never picked it up, Nía. Fuck, you were my best friend! What I'm supposed to do now?"

"Look, Guzmán, you were my best friend too. But it wasn't me the one who screwed things up" Nía said while looking hurt.

"If this is because of what happened with Lu..."

She tried to avoid his eyes by looking at the wall next to them, but Guzman grabbed her chin to get her attention.

"Guzmán I..."

Suddenly the door opened, revealing a very annoyed Lucrecia who stopped right in her tracks.

"You were here 'mi amor'!" She got closer to them and grabbed Guzmán's arm. Then she looked at Nía "Well, hello Nía. It's good to see you here again...Am I interrupting something?" Lucrecia said while faking a smile.

Nía looked at them both and muttered "I need to go..."

She passed quickly by them and left the room. When she was out of sight, she cursed her existence and leaned against the lockers. She exhaled loudly.

What a hell this was gonna be...

.

Nía was sitting on the cafeteria scrolling through her Instagram when the chair next to her moved. She looked up to see Christian smiling at her.

"Hola guapísima. Can we sit?" He said already sat, while the hijab girl and the other boy were standing still.

"Yeah, of course. Sit" Nía offered a smile. The two of them obliged.

"I'm Nadia, and this is Samuel" The arab girl smiled politely.

"So, Nía, who calls the shots here?" Christian said while looking at the group behind them. Nía followed his sight.

"Shouldn't you be worrying about other things now?" Samuel, the other boy, spoke for the first time. Nía chuckled. "Like the fact that you speak no English, for instance"

"Come on, it's not... nothing, huh? A little 'butt'" This time Nía laughed out loud. "You lend me your notes in English, and I translate them online to know what it's all about. Also, Nía, you could give me lessons since you lived in New York..."

Nía raised her head at her name being called by Christian.

"Do I look like a teacher to you?" She said with a hint of sarcasm.

"You shouldn't be here" Nadia said. "You're taking the spot somebody else actually needs".

Christian scoffed.

"Wait, do you think I am here to study? No, no, no! I'm here to meet the people who rule the roost" Nía rolled her eyes at his comment and keep scrolling through her phone.

Suddenly Christian got up and walked to Guzmán and the others. Nía knew this was the worst decision ever made.

"He's fucked" Nía muttered without looking up.

Then she heard Lucrecia raising her voice "Do not touch me!". Nía turned around to see what happened.

"My sister's coming-out party is private, like our conversation" Guzman said with a smug covering his face.

Nía cursed herself. She forgot about the stupid party. Marina told her through one of her skype conversations and she promised to go. Fucking amazing.

"Look... Because you're slow, you don't get how things work here. But your friend there is starting to get it" Guzman said while pointing at Nadia.

The group started to leave. Guzmán then looked at Nía, who rolled her eyes again at his behaviour.

"Don't worry about him. He's just marking his territory. Like dogs when they piss the lampposts" Nía said to Nadia and Samuel. They both chuckled. 

.

Nía sighed while laying in bed. Her first day was harder than she thought it would be. She had already showered and had dinner with her parents but made an excuse to go to bed early. She tried not to think about him, but the conversation they had made her remember the last time she saw him.

"We aren't a thing Nía, get over it" Guzmán said while sipping of his beer. She was pacing in front of him.

"You don't get it Guzmán. I'm not mad because you hooked up with Lu. It's because you lied to me this whole time!"

"Well, maybe I lied to you because I fucking knew the way this was gonna turn. You're my best friend, yeah, and we fuck sometime but that doesn't mean I can't do whatever the hell I want!" This time Guzmán was standing too. "We said no commitment"

She scoffed. She really had lost her virginity to this fucking idiot... And had started developing feelings for him, but she was good at hiding it. At least that's what she thought.

"You don't lie to your friends Guzmán" She said while looking at him. "I called you all this week and everything that I got were excuses, while you were just fucking Lucrecia!" She raised her voice. "You know what? Maybe I'm not your best friend after all. Best friends trust each other"

She then turned to leave as Guzmán called her name.

She knew she overreacted. At the end of the day, they we're not dating. But what annoyed Nía the most was the way he lied to her. And that he made her feel like a moron.

She shook her head and promised herself not to think about it again. That being her last thought before falling asleep.

________________________________________________________________________________

AN:

Hello! I'm posting again. I hope you like it... I think I'm starting to shape the characters a little bit more. 

Maybe I'll write again tomorrow! Wait for it... Marina's coming-out party and lots of Guznía (I think this sounds cute btw) moments...

xx