IX.

"Are you coming to the benefit cocktail party?" Carla asked Nia while sitting on the school library. "My mom's opening the wine cellars just for it"

Nia rolled her eyes internally. She loathed this kind of things that came with being rich. People gorging themselves on seafood and champagne while pretending they care about world's hunger.

"Your parents invited mine. I suppose they'll force me to go" Nia muttered. Carla laughed at her unenthusiastic face.

"Don't be silly. We'll have fun! I've invited Christian too"

Nia looked at her incredulously. Then scoffed.

"You're going with Christian? And Polo?" Carla nodded her head biting her lip. Nia laughed. "You've got some balls, marquesita"

As they were chuckling, a bang on the table startled them. Nia looked up to see Guzman's pissed face. Carla looked at each other and then gulped. She left muttering a small "see you later".

"Could you tell me why you're avoiding me?" He relaxed his clenched jaw and took a sit next to her.

Nia kept typing on her laptop ignoring him. Guzman sighed and took her hands to stop her movements. She looked at him.

"Please" He pledged. "I thought we were fine"

"Guzman. I really need to study...I don't have time for this" Nia stood up and retrieved her things. He followed and took her arm carefully.

"Nia... You told me you weren't going to disappear. What happened now?" He breathed next to her face. His eyes looking at her deeply.

Nia scoffed. She tried to bite her tongue, but the words left her mouth before she could stop it.

"Why don't you ask Lucrecia?"

With that said, she left quickly, leaving a puzzled expression on Guzman's face.

.

"Are you ready?" Her mom asked already dressed. Nia still doing her makeup nonchalantly. "Hija, nos tenemos que ir!"

Her dad appeared on her room's door also dressed up with an expensive suit.

"Still like this? We're late, Nia" Her dad, Manuel, stated.

She sighed and left her brush on the vanity.

"Leave without me. I'll go later... Don't worry"

Her parents looked at her and then looked at each other. They knew Nia was a stubborn one, so they walked out of her room.

Nia finished her makeup and took a black tight jumpsuit from her walk-in-closet, paired with some gold heels and a green fur coat. She looked at herself on the mirror and sighed satisfied.

.

"Thank you, Hector" She said to her family's driver before leaving the car. At the entrance, she could see Carla, Polo and Christian.

"Hola chicos" She greeted.

"Hola bombón" Christian kissed her cheek, which made her laugh. "Look at me, all dressed up!"

Nia looked at his suit and bow. They looked expensive. Way more expensive than Christian's budget.

"You look like a gentleman" The brunette teased him.

"Look, Lu's decided to come" Polo pointed out with his head. Nia rolled her eyes.

"Nia, I thought you wouldn't come... After all, we stopped inviting your family when you all left" Lu chuckled sarcastically. "I wonder if you remember how to choose your cutlery"

Nia scoffed.

"I can show you if you want. I remember when you told me you learned by watching Titanic"

Carla, Polo and Christian laughed at the brunette's remark. This made Lucrecia even more pissed.

"Lu, if you're mad at me don't take it out on her" Carla said. "Why don't we try to have a good time?"

Lucrecia indulged and they all walked inside the cellars. There, Marina and her parents were greeting the guests.

"You came!" Marina hugged Nia as soon as she saw her.

"My parents made me" Nia stated. She broke apart and looked at her friend's red dress "You look amazing!"

Then she saw Guzman come closer. She avoided his eyes and decided to talk to Carla instead.

"What's this? Miracle of Marcelino?" Lucrecia chuckled. They all turned around to see Samuel dressed in a black suit getting downstairs. The doorman stopped him and Marina walked to them. Also, Laura, her mother.

"Marina, darling, we already said you couldn't invite any friends"

"Mom, he's not my friend. He's my boyfriend" That being said, Marina grabbed Samuel's hand and they walked down-stairs, being stopped by Guzman, who ripped out his suit. Nia rolled her eyes and sighed. He always had to do something like this...

"You're an asshole, Guzman" Marina followed Samuel, who left the place.

.

She was tired already. Her parents were engaged in a boring conversation with Polo's mothers and she decided to busy herself with the wine and food. The only good thing about being there.

All that wine made her want to use the restroom, so she excused herself and walked through the cellars in search of it. When Nia walked out, she saw Guzman's back. Alone and standing next to a door. The brunette could also hear some laughter and clattering coming from the room.

Suddenly Guzman turned around and saw her. He stopped right in his tracks and Nia saw his blue eyes watering.

As much as she tried, she couldn't help but worry about him, so she came close to him.

"What's wrong?" She asked looking for the truth in his eyes.

He gulped and looked away, wiping a tear away with the back of his hand.

"Nothing. Don't worry" He walked past her and left the corridors, leaving a really confused Nia standing there alone.

.

The night went by and Nia decided to go outside for a bit and smoke a cigarette. She sat by a bench and looked at the sky, taking a drag of the stick. After a few minutes she felt a presence behind her.

"You look really beautiful tonight"

His voice again. She took another drag. He sat next to her.

"You're still avoiding me" He stated. She turned to look at him and threw away the cigarette.

"Guzman, I'm trying. I'm really trying to understand you... But I'm getting tired" She scoffed.

"What are you talking about?" He looked at her with a puzzled expression on his face.

"You told me you wanted things to be the same between us. Next minute, I see you kissing Lucrecia..." Guzman joined the dots and realised what she was talking about. He sighed and rubbed his face.

"Nia, I promise, she kissed me. I pushed her away!" He took her hand in his. "You have to believe me. I don't even talk to her anymore"

Nia looked at his hands touching hers and melted. Then she raised her head and met his blue eyes. Traces of tears still on them.

Guzman looked at her lips and closed the gap between them.

________________________________________________________________________________

AN: 

Another update! Hope you like it! xx