Killing Is Hard Work - Sample

I awoke to the heavy smell of bacon and eggs. I sat up with a jolt, painfully aware of just where I was. I scanned the room, my eyes not taking long on settling on his form.

He was sitting rather relaxed on the only chair in the room, watching me. A plate of food was placed on the table beside him. His intense gaze on me felt scalding. I followed his gaze, looking down, and realized that my flimsy blanket had slid down, leaving me exposed to his eyes. I grabbed hold of the blanket and covered myself. My cheeks felt hot, almost as scalding as his gaze had been. I looked up at the camera in the ceiling, my shirt was still there, covering it. I glanced back at him, an amused smile graced his handsome face now.

"I don't mind." His voice came out sounding just as amused as his smile.

I could feel my face turn yet another shade darker. I just wanted to crawl back underneath the blanket and hide from him, but I didn't want to show him how much he affected me either. Well, it's maybe a bit too late for that, seeing as my face had already changed color.

"I do mind," I said softly, I couldn't, for the life of me, meet his eyes as I spoke up.

He got up from the chair, and I froze instantly. But he didn't come my way, not at first at least. He walked up to the camera, stretched his arm up, and took hold of my shirt, removing it from the camera. He turned, came over to the bed, and kneeled down in front of me. He lifted my chin up with his hand, his flesh felt cool against my heated skin. I looked into his still amused face. He was apparently having a grand ball at my expense.

"Here," He said as he handed me my shirt back.

I accepted the shirt from his outstretched hand and clutched the material to my chest.

"Turn around" I commanded, my voice slightly shaking. I instantly regretted those two words, and yet I didn't.

He lifted one mocking eyebrow but complied with my shakenly given order regardless. I waited until he had gotten up and turned his back to me before I haltingly pulled the shirt over my head. The small piece of clothing made me feel safer, which is funny considering it would do nothing to protect me from this man. I got out of the bed, feeling even safer standing than sitting. He turned around at the sound and gestured towards the food on the table.

"Eat" The one word which left his mouth could not be mistaken as anything less than a order.

I bit my lip. I wanted to say that I wasn't hungry, but that would be a lie, and we both would know it. Besides, I would need my strength if I ever got the chance to escape. So I complied with his command and sat down on the chair, digging into the pile of food right away. I was well aware of his gaze following my every move. I sat my fork down after some time and turned to him.

"Stop that," I said eyeing him.

"Stop what?" He asked, an almost serious look on his face.

"Stop staring at me while I eat!" I exclaimed, frustrated now.