5th Chapter

It was a beautiful Sunday morning. Well, it would have been for her if she wasn't looking at her pale son.

- Why did you do it? You know entire family will rise know! Not to mention Westers! You should have never attracted Half-Nephilim! That was the first thing we thought you when you grew up!

- Mother...it's not as bad as it seems. Her family is okay with it. They are familiar...

- O, no, no, no! Don't you dare to tell me how everything is the way it was supposed to be. – she came closer to his desk and continued with lower voice – It isn't hundred and fifty years yet from the last time they were hunting and killing Half-Nephilim's. And you know why I am emphasizing this.

- Mum, they stopped doing that...

- They didn't.

- What? – Alex was now paler and nervously playing with pen in his arm.

Older woman desperately dropped the gaze and voiced:

- I've never thought that I'd needed to tell you this, but... Great Council never approved Assemblies proposal. We are never to marry or bound with Half-Nephilim's or humans. Not now, not ever. Just as was long time before us it still is.

- Wait...wait a minute. What do you mean? Why?

- Well...the prophecy says if we are ever to do that, we are going to be banned from High Society, in other words, deprived of our powers and privileges. But, most of all, it is forbidden to have a child with a Half-Nephilim. This is something the Great Council never said but has been quietly entering the High Societie's homes for centuries. Apparently, there is a part of Liber Santorum that predicts apocalypse. And in that text the woman is mentioned...the woman whose beauty shines from the deepest part of her soul and captivates a prisoner of the Lost City. Don't ask me what Lost City is because no one knows. But, considering the rest of the prophecy that young woman would become a mother of twins, so strong that they would be able to rise a civilization after the devil reaped all evil on the world.

- I don't understand. Why didn't I hear for that before? And...why weren't we studying that in school?

- The pages are ripped from Liber Santorum. It is more of a myth then a prophecy.

- But if it isn't true, then why are they killing Half-Nephilim's?

- I don't know. I only know facts. And they are clear. If you bring Elisa in this house... She will be dead in no time.

- No...I don't...

- Alexander! Listen to me! You screwed up! But you still can make this right. Will you indeed risk that girl's life for your fantasies?

- Excuse me?

- Never mind...

- Yes, there is! – Alex interrupted mother while waving with hand in disappointment – You think I made all this up?

- What?

- Yes, you do! You think I just made myself believe I like her.

- Dear Alex...

- No! – he stopped her – No...this is...unforgivable. I knew you would never approve someone I liked, but this... This is too much even for you.

- I am not lying!

- Maybe you're not lying about this all prophecy thing, but you are sure as hell not giving me any advice how to confront that. If you believed my feeling for Elisa were true, you'd knew I can't leave her. Not just because of myself, but because of her. She is completely vulnerable now. Her body just started to adjust to her real self...