2

"I just wanna get him something... really special, you know? Like, this is our first Christmas as a couple, and I just want him to remember it."

I shrugged nonchalantly, even though the situation wasn't nonchalant in the slightest. I'd actually been quite on edge about this for a while, and figured asking for help might be my best option at this point. 

"What, taking him to Paris isn't enough?" My mom laughed softly, sipping at her tea and raising her eyebrows at me.

"Well, yeah, but he already knows about that. I wanna surprise him with something. Something... big."

I watched her face carefully as she pondered this. It wasn't an easy topic for sure; I'd been stuck on it for months now.

"You could get him an engagement ring."

I looked up abruptly, expecting her to be kidding. But her face was set in stone.

"That's crazy. We haven't even been dating a year."

"So?" She shrugged, taking one final sip of her tea before setting it down and folding her hands on the table. "Look, Anthony. I've known Ian for as long as you have, and even long before you started dating, I've see the way he looks at you. He really, really loves you and always has. I can guarantee that if you asked that boy to marry you, there's no way in hell he would say no."

I stared at the table, my mind racing.

"I mean, we've never even talked about it or-"

"Do you love him?"

I looked up at her.

"Of course."

"Can you picture yourself spending the rest of your life with him?"

I bit my lip. "Yes."

She stood up. "Get your coat. We're going to buy a ring right now."

***

"Have you seen my black jacket? I think that's the only thing I-"

He spun around as I handed the jacket to him, a slight smirk on my face.

"I may or may not have stolen it last week."

He rolled his eyes but took it anyways, laughing softly. "Asshole."

I turned back to my suitcase and continued placing my jeans inside, the nervous knot in my stomach returning as I remembered the black box hidden safely under my side of the bed. My mom was right, I had no need to worry; of course he would say yes. But I was still unbelieveably nervous. In five days, in the City of Love on Christmas Day, I would ask the love of my life to marry me.

"Are you done?" he asked beind me, zipping his suitcase and standing it up.

"I hope so," I responded, shaking the nervous thoughts out of my head.

He came up behind me and wrapped his arms around me tightly, reaching up to rest his head on my shoulder. "I'm excited."

I turned around so I could hug him back. "Me too."

It was silent for a moment as we held each other, breathing softly and smiling.

"Hey, so I was thinking... I think it would be better if we didn't buy each other any gifts this year. I mean, with the trip and all, we're already spending so much..."

"Wait, you mean you were actually expecting me to buy you something?" He winked, kissing my cheek lightly. "No, I understand. I think that's a good idea."

I laughed, shaking my head.

"You wanna watch a movie?" he asked, eventually releasing me.

I nodded. "Sure. You pick. I'll be out in a minute."

As soon as he was out of the room, I took a deep breath, walking slowly over to my side of the bed. 

I pulled the little box out carefully, biting my lip at it. Unzipping my suitcase, I buried it deep in between all my clothes, somewhere I knew Ian would never be able to find it.

There was no turning back now. I was getting Ian a present after all.

But it was something that would benefit both of us for the rest of our lives.