Ceramics- 5

Twelfth day in class

"Lo, how the hell am I going to do these antlers?" I whine. It took me forever to finish carving in the snake scales, I scored on the mice feet, those things took me an eternity and they all came out looking slightly different. I'm ready to move on to the next project but I have to finish these dumbass antlers.

"I think it'd be easier for you to roll out the clay for a starting base. Then continuously add shorter rolls of clay together and then all you have to do is smooth them out and bada bing bada boom, you got antlers."

"That sounds like I'm not going to be able to do that, but I'll try."

"You can do it Camz, I believe in you. If you really need help I'll help you, I'm almost done anyway." She says adding on the last details of the wings.

"I hate that you are talented." I scowl.

It was actually perfect. The body was of a bear sitting on its bottom and instead of arms it had tentacles with small suction cups, the wings were those of a falcon protruding from its back. The attention to detail was impeccable! She's very diligent when she works, her mind and hands intuned with one another, it's like everything she thinks comes out perfect. I can't help but watch her.

"That's what I mean by incessant staring." She laughs not even looking at me as she puts down the needle tool.

"I can't help it! It's like magic in front of my eyes!" I exaggerate.

"The clay? Or my face?" She teases.

"Both. But mostly the clay. I mean it literally started out as a ball then, boom! It could be sold for thousands of dollars."

"Yours started off as clay too Camz and look at it now, don't base your accomplishments off of mine or anyone else's. Yours are just as amazing." She says sincerely.

"Thanks, Lo." I give a shy smile.

"Are you free tomorrow?" She asks.

"I'm always free, why?"

"Would you Ms. Camila, go out on another date with me tomorrow?"

"I'd love to Ms. Lauren."

"Awesome! Wear something casual and comfortable. I'll pick you up around 2 if that works for you."

"Perfect."

—==+==—

Next day

I dress casually all the time and suddenly I don't know what qualifies as casual, as I throw all my clothes in my closet on my bed.

"Mamí!" I yell, in nothing but my underwear and bra.

"What?" I hear my mother's distant yelling.

"Ven aquí! Por favor!" I yell back flopping on the pile of clothes on my bed in defeat.

"Aye, your rooms a mess. What did you want?" She asks looking at the mess everywhere. "And why are you naked?"

"I'm not naked mom, I have a date and she said to dress casual, what the hell is casual and comfortable. Everything I put on doesn't look right! And she'll be here in an hour! I stress, rolling off the bed clumsily.

"You must really like this girl." She shakes her head with a smile as she looks at the few remaining clothes in my closet.

"I do." I bite my lip to prevent the shit-eating smile from spreading across my face.

"Here. These light ripped jeans, this light blue shirt, and your converse. Now leave me alone, I'm trying to clean up the mess your sister left in the living room, but tell me how your date goes Mija."