ii. beethoven

LUDWIG VAN BEETHOVENfür elise

für elise

THE FIRST TIME A BOY HAS EVER REJECTED ADALENE BELLIVEAU WAS WHEN SHE WAS FOURTEEN YEARS OLD. She'll never forget the pure and unadulterated embarrassment and humiliation that coursed through her veins that day. She'd barely even made a move on him when he'd shut her down tragically by proclaiming he had a girlfriend and made his two lackeys join the bandwagon in agreeing.

But the one that takes the cake on the most shattering heartbreak Adalene would ever go through would be the first time a boy broke up with her.

She's had her fair share of boyfriends, but not one of which were they the ones who broke up with her — it was always the other way around. She'd learned from her parents that the only way to success is to put yourself first before others — never lower yourself just to succumb to their ways and traps.

Men were vicious, her mother had said, and will stop at nothing to climb their way to the top — even if it means trampling the woman they loved.

For someone as ambitious as Adalene, she had always found ways to break ties with her former lovers whenever they found out whose family she belonged to and started scheming to inherit their wealth.

Old money, that's what the Belliveaus were known as all throughout France. Not a single person who lived there didn't know how filthy rich her family was — Muggles and Wizarding folks alike. The weight of it never truly hit Adalene, especially when she's raised pampered and having her way with everything. Not until she turned seventeen years old, an adult and in her proper age to inherit the money given to her rightfully from her late grandfather's will.

     She remembered that day — the stride inside the parlor with her head held high as she readied herself to greet her parents with the news of it. Neither of them made mention of it, however. And when she brought up the topic, she'll never forget the scornful laugh her mother let out as her father scoffed.

     They refused to give her what rightfully belonged to her, and Adalene will never forgive them for it.

     She had fallen on her knees that day, begging for her parents to give in and change their minds. She and Grand-père have always been closer than she was with her own father — she knew that there must have been something he'd passed down to her that her parents were trying so hard to keep from her.

     That was the last day she ever lowered her pride and knelt before anyone else's feet.

     Today would be the second time, much to her dismay.