iii. chopin

FRÉDÉRIC CHOPINnocturne op

FRÉDÉRIC CHOPIN
nocturne op. 9 no. 2

THEO COULD HEAR THEIR SILENT CONVERSATIONS EVEN WHEN NEITHER OF THEM SAID A WORD. He was curled up on the side of his bed, his back against the frame with his legs pulled up to his chest as a blanket draped around him like a burrito. With puffy eyes, he watched his two best friends like a hawk as they threw constant worried glances at each other.

"I'm heartbroken not dying," Theo finally said, breaking the silence with his scratchy voice from last night's sobbing.

Draco stopped stirring the soup he'd cooked for Theo while Tessa peeked her head out of his closet that she was rearranging. The two shared another look with each other as Tessa said, "We didn't say anything."

Theo rolled his eyes, sniffing as he pulled the covers tighter around his body. "You didn't even have to — you're doing that freaky soulmate thing again."

Draco snorted, walking over to Theo's side of the bed and lightly nudged Theo's propped up leg with his knee. "Here," Draco said, handing him the bowl of soup that was still steaming. "You should eat something."

"I'm not hungry," Theo muttered.

Draco ignored him and set the bowl in Theo's hands. "Smells fantastic, doesn't it?"

"It smells okay," he mumbled back, trying to ignore the way his mouth watered.

"What is that?" Tessa asked loudly, popping her head out of the closet again. She sniffed the air, her eyes narrowing at the bowl in his hands. "Is there any more?"

"Cullen skink," her husband replied, jerking a thumb at the direction of the door behind him. "I left you some in the kitchen."

Tessa got up and padded out of the master bedroom. "Well then, I'll be in the kitchen if you need me." She mock saluted them before vanishing out of the threshold.

     Draco turned to Theo, deliberately flickering his gaze from the bowl of soup and to him with a pointed raise of his eyebrow.

"I said I'm not hungry," Theo mumbled again, but nonetheless picked up his spoon and fed himself some. His throat warmed almost instantly, and he felt the whale in his stomach come to life at being fed.

     The blond snickered, a grin stretching across his face as he flicked him on the forehead. "You're such a fucking liar." Nobody else in this world — not even Theo's parents — knew and understood him the way Draco did. Katie came as a close second, but it was always Draco who'd be able to deduce his thoughts — him and Tessa both.