Totally Not A Date

Daria stands alone in her room with a hanger in either hand, trying to choose the best outfit for her "social gathering" with Trent, Jane, and Jesse. Not that it mattered. It's definitely not a double date.

"Hey Daria- what are you doing?" Quinn swings herself around the door frame to Daria's bedroom.

"Plotting world domination." Daria lowered her arms as she looked in Quinn's direction. "What does it look like I'm doing?"

"It looks like you're choosing an outfit for a date." Leaning against the doorway, Quinn scans Daria for a moment. "I can help you get ready."

"It's not a date." Daria felt herself blush slightly at the thought. "Jane is coming and we are celebrating the success of Mystik Spiral."

"Ooookay whatever you say. I'm still helping though." Quinn lets herself in and takes the hangers in Daria's hands. "Absolutely not." She casts them aside and goes to Daria's closet.

"What was wrong with those?"

"Ugh don't you have anything colorful in here?" Quinn sighs, ignoring Daria's question. "That's it we're going to my room." Quinn takes Daria's hand and drags her down the hall.

"I don't think I'll look good in anything you own." Daria sits on Quinn's bed as she rifles through her closet.

"Look, Daria, if there's anything I'm good at it's getting dressed for a date." Quinn pauses to examine a top for a moment before tossing it aside. "I can make anyone look good, including you."

   "You sound like a trashy makeover show tv host." Daria dodges a skirt flying her way.

   Quinn stops throwing garments and faces Daria with something in her hand. She lets it unfold in her hands, holding it by the straps. A knee length maroon dress. "Stand up for a sec."

   Daria begrudgingly rises to her feet, watching Quinn hold the dress out against Daria's body. "I knew I'd have something." Quinn shoves the dress into Daria's hands and turns back to the closet. "Those old boots you always wear might actually go with that, go try it on."

   Daria silently goes back to her room to put on the dress.

The doorbell rings and Quinn sprints down the stairs to open the door. "You must be here for Daria, she'll be just a minute."

"Ah, thanks..." Trent stands awkwardly at the door looking around aimlessly. He's wearing a pair of black slacks and a black dress shirt. It's probably the nicest clothes he owns.

Daria makes her way down the stairs, pulling at the hem of her dress. "Damn dress keeps riding up." She mutters, not noticing Trent at the door.

"Oh wow..." Trent can't help but stare as Daria tucks her hair behind her ear. "You uh look really nice."

   "Thanks.. so do you.."

   Quinn grabs Daria's arm and shoves her out the door. "Okay you two love birds go have fun."

   "Quinn? Who was at the door?" Helen asks as Quinn sits at the dinner table.

   "Daria is going on a 'not a date' but it's totally a date and I made her look great."

   "Daria? On a date?" Helen looks in disbelief.

   "So, uh to the 'social gathering' then?" Trent offers his arm to Daria before they walk to his car. "Jane and Jesse should already be there."

   "To the 'social gathering.'" Daria gives Trent one of her rare smiles.