The Sleepover

Daria dials the Lane house on the cordless phone. "Hey Jane, Quinn's having the fashion club over and demands I leave for the night, can I stay over?"

   "Yeah sure let me get some stuff for you." Daria heard shuffling around and a bit of static. "Come over whenever."

   "Thanks, I'll be over in a few minutes." Daria hangs up the phone and grabs an over night bag and goes down the stairs.

   "Where are you going, in your pyjamas?" Helen stops her before she opens the door.

   "Quinn has banished me for the night, I'm going to Jane's."

"Oh... well have fun and be safe."

"Yeah, I was gonna go light on the cocaine tonight anyway." Daria closes the door before her mom can reply.

-Casa De Lane-

   Jane moves swiftly around her room, setting up a sleeping bag for Daria and moving her easel. She hears the doorbell ring and she has an idea. "Trent get the door!"

   Trent was not expecting Daria in her pyjamas, a gray tank top and grayish-pink shorts. "Uh hey Daria."

   "Hey.." Daria looks him in the eyes.

   "Janey's in her room." Trent averts his eyes awkwardly.

   "Thanks.." Daria silently makes her way to Jane's bedroom.

   "Hey amiga." Jane is sitting on her bed and doesn't look up from her sketchbook.

   "Why didn't you answer the door? Trent saw me wearing this." Daria tosses her overnight bag next to the sleeping bag.

   "Oh you'll live, you look fine." Jane stops drawing to look at her friend. "Besides, I'm not the one who told you to wear such revealing pyjamas." She points her pencil eraser at Daria.

   "Whatever."

   After a while of talking and tv they decide it's time to sleep. Daria tosses and turns in her sleeping bag but can't fall asleep. She decides to scavenge the kitchen for something to eat or drink.

Daria flips the kitchen light on and opens the cupboard for a glass. "Damn tall people and their stupid long arms."

"Hey Daria, need some help?" Trent walks into the kitchen and sees Daria struggling to reach a cup. He stands behind her and takes a cup from the shelf.

Daria turns around and sees she's standing very close to Trent, their faces mere inches away. "Uh thanks-" She stops short after looking him up and down and realizing he's only in a pair of boxers. Her face reddens as she looks away.

Trent hands her the glass and moves closer to her. "No problem." She looks into his eyes. They both lean in, slowly closing the small space between them. In the heat of the moment their lips meet softly.

   What feels like forever was really only a few seconds. They part and Trent realizes that he has Daria practically pinned to the counter. "Ah, sorry." He steps back, allowing Daria to move again and get the drink she initially cane downstairs for. "I didn't mean to-"

   "It's okay, I liked it." Daria blushes and goes upstairs.