Prologue

"Sebastian! Who is this?!" A stern voice jolts you out of your slumber. You hear a door creak open followed by the soft tap tap tap of feet. The voice sounds angry and you try to open your eyes, but they feel like they've been sewn shut.

"Well, my Lord, it appears to be a young lady." A new, calmer voice speaks. You hear a huff, like someone exhaling sharply.

"I know that, you dolt! Who is she and why is she in my study?!" The voice grows louder and you try once again to open your eyes. You fail, so you change tactics. You try to lift you arm, causing your fingers to twitch. The voices fall silent as you struggle to open your eyes.

"Hn..." Your body loosens up and you move your head. Finally, you open your eyes.

Harsh lighting causes you to seal them shut once again. You take you time in the silence, adjusting to the light. You open you eyes fully and try to sit up, but you are interrupted.

"I wouldn't move if I were you, young lady." The man to your left speaks sharply and you feel a sharp object being pressed against your neck. You look over to see a tall man you raven hair and auburn eyes staring at you. The man has a knife pressed to your throat and tears fill your eyes as you realize this fact.

"A-ano-" You begin, but you are interrupted.

"Don't speak unless I tell you to." You peer out the side of your eyes and see a boy glaring at you out of a deep blue eye. The other eye is covered by a black eye patch, which makes his look even more angry than he already is. Worst of all, he's glaring at you with murderous intent.

"This is how it'll work: You will answer my questions, but only speak when I tell you to. Otherwise, my butler will slit your throat. Do you understand? Nod if so." You close your (E/c) eyes and nod, being wary of the knife.

"Very good. Now, what is your name?" He asks in that stern voice. You open your mouth to answer, but you realize you have no answer. He sees you hesitate and growls.

"Answer the question!" You shut your eyes once again and whisper in fear.

"I don't know." He doesn't reply, but the knife moves closer to your (S/t) skin. You begin to tremble, tears etching their way down your face.

"I swear! I-I don't know my name! I don't know anything!" You whisper through your tears. You hear the boy snort in disgust.

"How am I supposed to take the word of a girl who managed to sneak into my manor without alerting anyone or the dog outside? As if I'm that stupid. So you refuse to tell me your name. Well, tell me this: Do you know who I am? Look at me." You open your eyes and he takes your chin. You flinch at his touch as he moves your chin to face him. His cruel eye flashes dangerously, fear jolting through your body.

"N-no. I-I don't k-know you..." You say. He frowns.

"I am Earl Ciel Phantomhive. This man is my butler, Sebastian. I assume you still won't tell me your name?"

"I would if I had a name to tell you, Earl Phantomhive." His frown deepens at your wording.

"It would appear you are not a peasant. Are you a noble? Perhaps a Lady something?" His words jar something in your mind and a word slips past your lips.

"(Name)...." He snaps to attention.

"What was that?" You say it again.

"(Name). My name is (Name). I don't know my last name..." He narrows his eye again.

"Very well, (Name), then. I'm glad you slipped that up. Sebastian, I believe the knife will not be necessary anymore. Go get some tea." The butler, Sebastian, nods and the knife slips away. You gasp softly, clutching your throat as you eye the butler leaving the room. The boy scoffs.

"You're pathetic, you know that?" You flinch at his words, but something tells you that you're used to it... How odd.... He seems puzzled by your reaction as well. After a minute or so of silence he raises his hand and a sharp pain hits your cheek. Yet, you don't shout or cry out. You remain silent, not a sound uttered from your mouth.

"Fascinating. You seem used to that." He stands and walks onto the other side of his desk. You sit up and look around. You appear to be in a study of some kind, yet how you know that is a mystery to you. The boy shuffles a few papers, then looks down at you.

"Well, don't just sit on the floor! Get up and sit like a normal human being!" You scramble up and quickly sit in the seat across from his.

"Y-yes sir!" He seems surprised by your swiftness, and he picks up a pen. Before you realize what happened, the pen is in front of your face, in between your index and middle fingers. Ciel narrows his eyes and looks back down at his paper. He takes out another pen and begins to scribble on a piece of paper, leaving you awkwardly sitting, fidgeting with your skirts. The dress you're wearing is (F/c) with (S/f/c) stitching. The side is ripped, showing a bit of your thighs. You quickly cover them just as the door opens.

"Young Master, I brought the tea, as you requested." Sebastian wheels in a silver cart set up with a tea set. You turn your head, but then quickly look away. Ciel lazily looks up, then sets his paper down.

"Good. I need a tea break." Sebastian nods, then prepares his master's cup.

"Today we have a Earl Grey tea, freshly shipped in from Japan. A light snack to accompany the tea, a raspberry parfait." He pours the tea as he speaks, and sets it in front of Ciel. You follow the butler's movements, and you glimpse a small box on the cart.

'That must be the tea tin, but... why does it look so familiar..?' You decide to try your luck.

"Ano, may I see that tea tin?" You ask quietly. Sebastian turns and looks at you with a blank expression. You immediately lower your head and clench the fabric of your dress in your fists. Ciel sips his tea with a bored expression, completely unaware of your thoughts.

'I'm such and idiot! Why would I ask such a stupid question? The tea tin? Honestly, what was I thinking!' The door opening jars you from your thoughts.

"Young master! We have a problem, yes we do!" A young woman with raspberry colored hair pokes her head in. Large glasses cover her face, but they're covered with soot. As Sebastian open his mouth to reply, you hear an explosion downstairs.

"Honestly, how many times must I tell him... Dynamite is NOT a cooking utensil!" You hear Sebastian mutter under his breath before he turns toward Ciel.

"Excuse me, young master." Ciel waves his away, his gaze returned to you. Sebastian and the woman exit the room, leaving you alone with the one-eyed predator.