TWO

⌊

. start again

THE HANDLER'S FINGERS slowly stroked the young girl's hair.

Five had broken his contract. And oh, did it make the woman mad beyond belief. How hard was it it commit to five years of service? The Handler had gifted Five with everything. From knowledge, to power, to endless time. Five has seen the apocalypse and the Handler had promised he'd never have to live through it or even see it again. And all he had to do was work for her and stay.

How was that so hard?

Sighing, the Handler looked down at the girl before her.

"Ebony, are you ready?"

Said girl looked up, her blue eyes staring deep into the Handler's own. "Yes."

At least this girl would never forsake her. The Handler had raised Ebony herself since basically birth. Betraying her would be like betraying a mother. The Handler smiled softly, her previous anger sliding off her as she fluffed up the teenager's ginger curls.

Time was delicate in some ways. One movement could set off a chain of reactions, but the Handler was perfectly careful with everything she did. This teenage Ebony before her didn't correlate with the Handler's current timeline. In fact, the Ebony that was of this particular time was 54 years old. This one was 40 years younger, yet still expertly trained.

54 year old Ebony was definitely more skilled-40 years ahead in fact-but she held a fatal flaw that the Handler couldn't easily rip out and repair. 54 year old Ebony was helplessly in love with Five, whether she knew it or not. If the Handler had sent her, then she'd be faced with apprehending both Five and Ebony. And that would be a task that even the Handler herself would struggle to achieve.

No, instead she'd send 14 year old Ebony, whose mind wasn't plagued with thoughts of Five and would feel no guilt using her own hands to slit his throat-if push came to shove.

Also, the Handler knew. She knew that Five traveled through time and space without a suitcase, which meant he was altered. And all her sources told her that he was going to be younger-way younger. So, the Handler set up the perfect trap. Because Five still remembered Ebony and the Handler knew that he was just as obsessed and in love with her. And when he sees this Ebony. He'd be weak. He'd make mistakes. And with those errors, he'd be caught and brought back to compensate for his mistakes.

"You'll be working with Hazel and ChaCha," the Handler told the girl. "Do you know them?"

Ebony's passive face suddenly twisted into one of disgust. "Yes. But why?"

"Because they are the best, currently," The Handler clarified. "Five is extremely skilled, you'll need some help."

"Let's agree to disagree."