SIX

⌊

. jelly donuts & anger issues

SHE WAS QUICK to replace her confusion with anger. Instead of focusing on the questions overwhelming her head-why had she paused? why had she hesitated? why had her stomach flipped when he had called her name? -Ebony decided to point and shift blame. Calling Hazel and ChaCha "fucking idiots" was easier to do than trying to understand herself. There was no good reason as to why she had paused, and the only one she could think of left a sour taste in her mouth. Channeling that uncertainty and fear into anger was a flawed defense mechanism, but the only one she had.

Hazel regarded her with a confused look, always taking the time to process and analyze each situation, but ChaCha was always quick to anger and quicker to act. The older woman straighten herself and returned Ebony's raging look with a fiery one of her own.

"Us?" ChaCha spat back.

Ebony grit her teeth. She knew she shouldn't be arguing with the duo. She knew it was her fault Five got away and her fault only, but she had already convinced herself that ChaCha and Hazel were a contributing factor to her failure. And she'd rather lie to preserve herself that keep good relations with her partners. "Yes, you. I almost had him."

ChaCha's fingers tightened around her gun as she took edged closer to the teen. "If you were so close, why didn't you get him? Since you're obviously, the Commission's best."

Ebony gave the woman a sickeningly sweet smile. "I am the best and I knew it was better for me to work alone. All you ever do, ChaCha," she poked the woman in the chest with her finger, "is fuck things up."

ChaCha was fighting fire with fire which only led to further chaos. But chaos was something Ebony could understand, unlike her jumbled thoughts on Number Five. She could feel ChaCha's fury fuel her own fire, and she felt at home in the violent passion.

"It doesn't matter how old you are or what timeline you come from does it? You still love him."

Then that fire within her dwindled and sputtered out and she felt cold. Ebony's eyes widened, her words falling short and her throat suddenly dry. ChaCha had put words to Ebony's feelings. Love. No, it was too strong a word to use.

"And that's why you lost him, isn't it? You two haven't even met yet and you still care."

Ebony blinked. No, love was it. Infatuation. That was it. And not over him-never over him- but over his powers and superhuman abilities. He was a worthy opponent, and of course she would be impressed with his prowess. Now, she could breathe. "What are you-"

"Ladies!" Hazel snapped. "Hate to interrupt your bonding moment but"-he pointed to the cars and flashing lights outside-"cops."

"Let's get outta here."