SEVEN

⌊

. the (not so) first born

ALL HIS LIFE, Luther had built himself around being Number One. He told himself he was the leader (though there was no agreement on it); that he was the eldest sibling (but they were all born on the same day at the same time) ; and that, as the 'eldest' child, he had to protect his 'little' siblings (everyone was more than an capable of defending themselves).

Luther was really thought he was the glue of this family. He really thought all his siblings would break without him. He really thought they needed him as much he needed them.

They never did.

He lost Five first. No one blamed Luther, but it was his unspoken responsibility to stop Five. After dinner those years ago, Luther had went after him. His plan wasn't to persuade his raging brother, it was to demand him to come back. Luther was the leader after all, so Five would have to listen. But Five hadn't been there, and even if he had, he wouldn't have listened to Luther anyway. None of them had.

Next was Ben. And Luther had been overwhelmed with guilt again because he had indirectly ordered his brother into his own death. But it had only pushed for Luther to try harder, to push them more, to be the leader he knew he was supposed to be.

Diego was third to go, but he left on his own accord. He had argued with Reginald everyday, was found stuttering to himself and crying and throwing things all around his room. Reginald never batted an eye at his behavior and would come to every breakfast, lunch, and dinner as if Diego hadn't wrecked the walls with deep cuts and dented the floors. It drove the boy insane and on his way out, he had turned to Luther, who was trying to maintain a placid face like his father.

"You're a shitty leader," Diego had spat at him. "And an even shittier brother."

Luther pretended he didn't care and had rolled his eyes. But Diego's words always haunted him.

Klaus followed Diego after a few days. His leave was quieter and swift. He had smiled, waved, gave the remaining three children hugs and was on his way. Luther tried to stop it this time. He had tried to explain that they needed him, that they still had villains to beat and people to save, but Klaus just laughed it off with a wave of his hand.

"People die," he had said, "and trust me, they're doing just fine dead!"

Luther didn't find it humorous and watched him leave with a tight jaw and clenched fists.

Allison followed a few months later, and her departure hurt him the most. She had cried into his arms, sobbing that she "couldn't take it", "it's all too much", and "I'm so alone". She didn't tell him when she'd left. He had gone to breakfast one morning and she wasn't there. He already knew what had happened when she hadn't arrived, but he wanted to believe she hadn't left him by himself. Sure Vanya was there, but Luther never really had a relationship with her. And he'd go as far to say he had loved Allison and he thought that she loved him too. But maybe she didn't, really. Maybe she had only attached herself to him because he happened to be there.