EIGHT

⌊

. as according to plan

AS EXPECTED, LUTHER was not helpful. The megaton of a man had no idea what was going on, as usual. The awkward silence between them intertwined with Luther's endless questions about what Five did during his very extended trip to the future was more a distraction than aid. And Five had no time to provide details when there was a literal apocalypse happening in less than a week. So he decided that kicking Luther out was the best way to go, despite his brother's protest and grumbles.

Enjoying the new found silence in his van, Five continued to observe the building before him: Meritech Prosthetic. The tool the glass eye from his pocket and rolled it between his fingers. Meritech Prosthetic had manufactured the very eye in Five's hand. The same eye he had found clenched in Luther's hand during the apocalypse.

He had visited the place earlier that day with Klaus, who pretended to be his father. And after a brief discussion with one of the workers -one that involved minor threats and few not so lightly tossed punches-Five discovered that the eye hadn't even been made yet, much less owned by someone. And so he was back to square one.

But there was still something off about the place, along with the man they'd talked too. Five believed they were hiding something, but nothing suspicious had happened, yet. So he'd be spending the rest of his miserable night in his van, waiting (and begging) for a hint to stop doomsday.

✧ ✧ ✧

"THIS IS it," Ebony muttered as she fiddled with the strap of her gun. Her knives sat snug in the holders on her thighs and her mask hung loosely from her neck.

ChaCha gazed up at the mansion. Her eyes running over the window with an umbrella stained into the glass. Besides her, Hazel loaded his shotgun before setting his mask on his face.

"So, what's the plan?" The man asked, cocking his weapon.

Ebony watched the shadows flitter past the windows. She'd counted 4 people actually moving inside. Their shadows looked too tall to be Five, except for one. But from the brief movement she'd seen of the smaller shadow, the maneuvering hadn't matched the pro assassin's. This person seemed more timid and separated from the three others, as if they were afraid to be acknowledged. Something in her gut told her that Five wasn't there, but even if he wasn't this was sure to leave some type of message.

"Well," Ebony spoke, responding to Hazel's question. "We sneak in and hope Number Five's home."

The three etched to the side of the house, where Ebony silently picked the back door. Swinging the door open, she stepped in, leading the way for her partners.