~ 9 - Time Apart ~

Ship: Skephalo
Requested by: anonymous friend
Prompt;
Darryl gets the coronavirus... yeah.

(This is set in the universe of 'The illustrator, the writer" - But isn't actually in the book itself, because plot conveniences.)
-=-

Zak and Darryl were boyfriends. Inseparable boyfriends, actually. Zak would mainly sleep in Darryl's dorm and Darryl would often cook breakfast for the two of them; despite Zak usually distracting him to the point he burned the food.

It was a horrible day for Darryl, his throat was scratchy and hurt, his eyes stung and every inch of his body burnt with a sickening fever. It concerned Darryl, especially after the news he read, all he read recently was the news on the coronavirus. It wasn't until a few young adults in Darryl's College class had come down with the virus that the whole school had shut down, leaving Zak and Darryl to themselves. It wasn't until Darryl realised that he had three of the symptoms that he had banished Zak from his dorm until the virus had gone. The younger boy was upset... Wait, that's an understatement. It had been nearly two days since Darryl had self-isolated and the teen was sat on his own, sky blue couch watching YouTube mindlessly, he hadn't slept since the older kicked him out but he was doing fine other than his moping. Anyone would think Zak was ill by the way he was lay and the way he mumbled but nope, he was perfectly healthy actually. He just really wanted a hug from his boyfriend. The raven-haired boy turned on his back as another video started until his ears perked up on a few words.

"First few deaths... Stay indoors and safe, look after yourselves," announced the man on television, eyes glaring into the screen with a hint of seriousness.

Zak paused his train of thought before forcing himself off the couch and staring at the tv in almost fear. He shook his head as a thought filled his mind, "No, no, Darry's fine. You're just being stupid again, idiot, stupid muffin."

For the rest of the day, Zak found himself finishing art pieces and scrolling through discord before the thought plagued his mind again... but this time it wouldn't go away... Surely Darryl wouldn't mind a call, right? Right!

Bring!

Bring!

Bring!

A small groan came from the receiving end of the phone.

"Ugh, Skep, what's up, muffin?"

"I- I was checking too see if you were okay," Zak sniffled as he sat on the edge of his bed, placing his phone on speaker mode as he wiped his eyes and silently laughed at his own reckless thoughts, "I saw something on TV and it kinda scared me, Bad."

"Oh? You know most those," Darryl paused as he yawned, "Horror movies are fake."

"What? No! I was watching the news, idot!"

Darryl smiled softly at one of Zak's favourite words, he'd missed the boy despite being away from him for only two days, he missed the younger's funny outbursts, the younger's unknowing kindness and care for small animals and the boy's warm embraces.

"Anyways, I thought you might die and I- I don't want you to die. We have to die together, ok? So don't die!" Zak rambled on, blushing slightly at his trail of thought, it was true, he didn't want the other to die, not now, not ever. "I love you."

"I love you too, Skeppy, but it's only like a flu, I'll be fine. Besides that death thing usually only applies to people with health issues already or young babies or super old people," Darryl replies, coughing at the end of his sentence, "Listen babe, I'm gonna go to sleep because I'm in a lot of pain but feel free to stay on call if it makes you feel better."

"Thank you, Bad, goodnight," Zak mumbled lying down on his side on the messy bed.

"Night, Skep. I love you."

"You," Zak yawned, "too."