Wait, You're Pregnant?!

Requested by: @Mfairrie
Words: 1268
Description: Sirius, Remus, and Peter find out that Lily's pregnant during a game of Pictionary/they meet baby Harry for the first time.
Story:
The day was January 31, 1980, Lily Evan's 20th birthday. It had been about two and a half years since the Marauders graduated Hogwarts to face the adult wizarding world where a war was taking place. During the summer of '78, the five best friends joined the Order of the Phoenix the first chance they got, determined to do anything they could to stop Voldemort. 

In the Fall of 1979, James and Lily got married at nineteen years old. Their wedding was a bright spot in a sea of dark times. So many people were dying, muggles, muggle-borns, half-bloods; people they knew and people they didn't. 

For Lily's birthday, the five of them gathered together in the house James and Lily bought in Godric's Hollow and talked and joked and had more fun than they'd had in a long time. 

It was during a game of Pictionary that the truth came out. 

Lily was up at the board while Remus, Sirius, and Peter were trying to guess what she was drawing. James sat quietly to watch his best friends' reactions.

Sirius was way into the game already as Lily focused on drawing. He was hopping up and down and tugging on Remus's arm, guessing everything that came to mind, whether it was reasonable or not.

"Circle! No, Shoe! James's knickers? What is it Evans? I mean Potter."

Lily laughed and tried to put more detail into her drawing. 

"Bread?" Remus asked finally. 

Lily nodded frantically, waving her arms for him to elaborate.

"Loaf? Bagel? Bread...bread...Bun?" Remus guessed. 

Lily jumped up, nodded and going to draw a box around the bun with little dials and a door that was open so the bun could be seen. 

Sirius started on his guessing streak, leaving Peter without a chance. "Is that a box? A house? Oh! I know, a castle!"

Remus squinted and studied the picture and then blinked, face paling. He looked quickly between the picture and James and Lily. He caught James's eye, who smiled and shrugged. 

Remus covered his mouth with his hand. "Oh merlin," he whispered, staring at the picture that was now obviously a bun in the oven. 

Sirius was still trying to guess. "What the flying flobberworm is that?! A cupboard? Perhaps an octopus? An oven?"

Lily nodded, he almost had it.

Sirius looked confused. "An oven? What kinda prompt is a bun in an ove--" He stopped himself, reality dawning on him. 

"Wait, wait what--are you saying..." Sirius's head was on a swivel as he looked from James to Lily, who were both smiling widely. 

"I'm pregnant," Lily said. 

"Wait, you're pregnant?!" Peter squeaked, late to figure it out as always. 

"Yes," Lily answered, eyes tearing up as she looked on at their expressions. 

"Oh my god!" Sirius yelled, pouncing forward to give Lily a hug before launching himself at James where he rocked them back and forth. "I'm gonna be an Uncle Padfoot!" He cried. 

Remus went to Lily to congratulate her and she pulled him into a hug.

"We went to Mungo's earlier today. We're having a boy," Lily said.

+++

"Hurry, Remus, hurry hurry hurry," Sirius said anxiously, waiting by the door of their flat as Remus stumbled around trying to get his shoes on. It was around 5:00 pm on July 31, 1980. Five minutes prior, a stag patronus had arrived in their home informing them that James and Lily's baby boy had been born. 

"Let's go," Remus said, following Sirius outside to his motorbike. They made quick work of getting to St. Mungo's Hospital. They burst through the doors and Sirius shouted at the receptionist that they had to get to the delivery wing where Lily and James Potter were. 

The receptionist gave the two young men directions and they tore off in the direction of the delivery room. 

They stopped at the door that the Potters were in and Sirius's hands were shaking. Everything was real now. His best mate had a baby and it was real. He could hear the squawk of the baby on the other side of the door and Sirius swore to himself in that moment that he would do everything in his power to protect that little boy for as long as he lived. 

Sirius knocked on the door, Remus right behind him. "Come in," Lily called sweetly from the inside. 

Sirius opened the door and his jaw dropped when he saw his little Prongslette in his mother's arms, making baby noises. 

James came over from where he was standing beside Lily and the baby and pulled the both of them into a hug. He had been crying.

"Come see, he's bloody perfect," James said, motioning them over. Lily, looking quite tired, handed James the baby. James cradled him so carefully because his baby meant everything to him. Meant the entire world. 

"His name's Harry. Harry James," James said, looking up briefly to ask Sirius if he wanted to hold him.

"Oh, oh, no I don't want to break it. Him, I mean. I don't know how to hold a baby," Sirius said, suddenly feeling sick with responsibility. He had to protect this little bean from the world, which also meant his own unsteady arms. He didn't want to drop the poor thing on it's head ten minutes out of the womb. 

"Nonsense, just sit down and I'll grab you a pillow," James said, nodding for Sirius to take a seat. 

Sirius shook his head, "James--"

"I want you to hold my baby," James said firmly, then smiled. "I trust you, Sirius, and it would mean a lot if you would."

Remus nodded and smiled encouragingly, so Sirius wiped his sweaty palms on his pants and sat in the chair, accepting the pillow. James handed Harry over to him and showed him out to hold the baby with his head in Sirius's elbow area. 

Sirius was lost in the baby's bright green eyes, tears welling in his eyes as he watched the baby's little button nose and his little mouth with a little tongue and his little fists trying to grab at Sirius's hair and--

"Sirius? Did you hear me?" James asked. 

Sirius looked up, confused. Remus was smiling at him and James laughed at the look on Sirius's face. 

"I asked if you'd be his Godfather," James repeated. 

Sirius was stunned. He wanted to say no, that he really couldn't do it. He really shouldn't be allowed. But James asked him. James trusted him with that sort of responsibility.

"I'd be honored," he said sincerely. 

James smiled and patted him on the back. "Moony, you want a turn?"

Remus shook his head, a blush rising to his cheeks. "I really shouldn't. You don't want him near me, James."

"Stop right there," James said, holding up a hand. "We've been over this, Remus. I trust you just as much as I trust Sirius. You're not a monster, yada yada yada, now hold my child."

Remus caved and got a chance at holding baby Harry, too. 

"Next one's yours, Rey," James said, sitting at the foot of his wife's bed and holding her hand over the sheets. He wondered briefly why Peter was so late to meeting baby Harry, why he was so late to everything lately. 

Remus was about to argue again, but decided against it, wanting instead to enjoy this happy time. He'd deal with it when James and Lily had their next child.

But of course, as we all know they never got there. 

+++

PLEASE REQUEST: