Chapter 2- (Your VIP pass to the coolest squad in school)

As the day marks the end of my punishment, I feel a thrilling rush to finally put it all behind me. Emerging from the first physics class, a sense of urgency grips me, compelling me to seize a broom and head outdoors. Cassie trails behind me, dramatically lamenting her hunger and plopping onto a bench while I continue sweeping.

"Eureka! All done!" Bursting with excitement, I let out an exuberant shout. "Now, can we bolt for food? There's barely five minutes left for breakfast."

In a mad dash, we reach the cafeteria, only to discover breakfast is wrapping up as we arrive. "I'm so sorry, Cassie. Look, I'll let you have my lunch later. I promise," I earnestly assure her.

"It's alright, Leona. Not your fault. I guess we'll just have to wait for lunch," Cassie replies, giving her growling stomach a gentle pat. Exiting the cafeteria, our names ring out in the air – Sam and Angie are calling us from a distance. We join their table, greeted by the sight of breakfast they've thoughtfully secured for us.

"Could we call ourselves friends if we didn't bring you breakfast?" Angie quips, a proud grin lighting up her face.

"Thank you so much, Angie," I chime in, sincerely grateful for their gesture.

And so, let me introduce Sam and Angie – my latest companions in this high school life, forged through Cassie's introduction. Childhood friends Angela and Cassie have known each other forever and have met Sam back in junior high school. Angela is fair and strikingly pretty, perpetually vexed by her petite stature. Sam, much like me, is a blend of cultures – half Japanese, half Ghanaian, endowed with silky black hair and is very handsome I must say. Not to talk of his height.

As breakfast draws to a close, we wrap up our meal, rushing to make it to our second-period class. Angela diverges to her separate path, given she doesn't share our science class.

The after-school retreat begins with the last school bell. The echo of Cassie's "Siesta!" demonstrates her unwavering enthusiasm for anything that does not involve reading or problem-solving. She quickly gathers her books and leaves without even pausing for a second.

"Looks like she's prioritizing sleep again," I remark to Sam. "Her naps reign supreme over everything else."

A knowing smile dances on Sam's lips as he packs his belongings. "I've come to realize that about her by now. I must be off, Leona. Catch you later."

With a nod and a wave, he makes his exit. Settling back into my seat, I devote my time tackling the backlog of assignments that accumulate over the week. Lost in concentration, I suddenly find myself encircled by a group of seniors, including the handsome young guy I noticed earlier. I immediately recognize them as the much-talked-about "Classic 5," a name that strikes me as amusing.

"Hello, new girl," the owner of beautiful melanin skin and long braids, greets as she settles before me. "I'm Nana Yaa, and these are my friends – Bryan, Christopher, Keziah, and Abena." Pleasantries exchanged, I maintain a nervous smile, trying to keep my composure.

"Leona, I'm sure you've heard of us. We're the Classic 5 – a force to be reckoned with in this school. Even the seniors don't challenge us. Looking at you, I see potential. As a junior, you'd be an exception – protected, empowered, and respected. What do you say?"

Her enticing proposition lingers in the air, yet my heart holds steadfast. "While your offer is tempting, I'm sorry to say I must decline. I've already formed bonds with classmates who I cherish. Power and control over others aren't my aspirations; I'd rather stand on my own terms. But thank you sincerely for the consideration."

A glint of disappointment appears in Nana Yaa's eyes, and her arrogant smirk wavers. "Did my words miss your ears? Should I make my argument again, or are you still having trouble understanding?" She speaks in a tone that veers between amazement and annoyance.

I emphasise my lack of interest with unflinching conviction. She makes an effort to preserve an air of disinterest, but her stare is filled with seething resentment. After a little pause, she gathers her allies and departs gracefully, the weight of her unmet expectations permeating the room.

A sigh of relief escapes me, and my head meets the cool surface of the desk. "Does she think we're in 'Mean Girls' or something? Classic 5, my foot! So infuriating."

Startlingly, a voice pierces the air, causing my heart to race. "Oh my God! You caught me off guard. I thought you left with your friends."

"I did leave, only to return. I wanted a personal introduction. I'm Bryan." His grin is infectious as he settles before me, his eyes a deep brown that seems to pierce into my very soul. The unexpected intrusion snaps me back to reality – what am I doing?

"I apologize for the confusion earlier. Nana Yaa might be intimidating, but she's a whole different person once you know her."

"Right, it's just hard to believe at first. But regardless, I appreciate the sentiment. I do hope we'll get to know each other, Bryan."

A chuckle escapes him, his dark skin seemingly aglow. "We have all the time for that. Until next time, Ms. Pretty."

The correction slips from my lips. "It's Leona." Yet he departs without a response, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

"Time to make up for lost hours. Let's wrap up this assignment and share today's escapade with my friends later."

____________________________________
Hello lovely readers,

We've come to the end of chapter two. I hope you enjoyed it. More spicy chapters coming your way. Please don't give up on this book yet. I'm working on every chapter hoping it turns out great.

Thank you for all the support though. Don't forget to... Vote, comment and share.

-Daisy.