Chapter 9- (Start work!)

The day of the midterm exams has arrived. The invigilator's voice fills the room as we prepare to tackle our first paper: mathematics. Strangely, I find myself finishing the test in less than an hour, leaving my fellow students murmuring in surprise and the invigilator shocked by my speed.

Stepping out of the examination hall, I welcome the breath of fresh air. However, my thoughts are far from the upcoming return home. Instead of excitement, anger gnaws at me because my mom hasn't visited or even reached out. Something feels off, and I know I have to address it once I return home.

Sam joins me outside. "How was the paper?" he inquires. I manage a slight smile and reply, "It
was good."

Seeing beyond my facade, he asks with genuine concern, "Are you okay?" I nod and suggest, "Let's start revising for our social studies paper," as we gather our study materials.

Arriving back at our study spot, the clock signals the end of the exam time, prompting the rest of the students to pour out. Angie and Cassie approach us. Their faces clearly show strain, indicating that they had difficulty with the mathematics paper.

"Nobody should even begin to talk about this horrible paper," Cassie warns as we settle down to study for the next exam.

To lighten the mood, I decide to bring snacks for everyone. The dorms are open throughout the day during exam week, so I head to my dorm to gather drinks and biscuits for the four of us. On my way, I bump into Bryan.

"Hey, Leona," he greets, and I respond in kind.

"What's in your bag?" he inquires, leaning in to get a peek.

"Why do you care, huh?" I retort, rolling my eyes.

"Okay, ma'am. I'm sorry for invading," he says, clearly teasing.

I huff, saying, "Whatever! They're snacks for my friends and I."

Bryan chuckles. "I see. Where's mine? Aren't I your friend too?"

I relent, "You are." Handing him a share of my snacks, I offer, and he declines, claiming he's just joking.

"After the whole exams, I'd like to speak with you. What do you say?"

I consider for a moment before replying, "I'd like to speak with you too."

"Okay then. I have to rush now. Good luck on your exams," he wishes me as he hurries away, and I reciprocate his good luck.

Returning to my friends, Cassie complains, "What took you so long? I'm famished." With a grin, I hand them their snacks, and we settle down to read and chat while munching on our treats.

Eventually, we manage to conquer the social paper, marking the end of the day's studies. As we wrap up our session, there's a sense of accomplishment that makes the challenges of the midterm week feel a little more manageable.

______________________________________

⭐️⭐️⭐️