Chapter 1: To Catch A Sidekick

{Author's Note: Like, comment, subscribe, retweet, I don't know, uh, comment again? Give me comments, I love them :) Happy reading.}

Watching the same news clip for over an hour was beginning to get tiring. The reporter's voice only got more annoying the longer it played.

"-doesn't look like Captain Kilowatt is going to make it out of this one! Oh god! What the hell was that?! What- Something just knocked Repulser off the platform! Captain Kilowatt is back up! She's charging-! Repulser's twisting the platform! She's climbing back up! Wait! Someone's standing on that ledge! Who is that? Another of Repulser's minions? Oh-! No! He- He just blew Fuse off the platform! He's going... He's in the lake! Ladies and gentlemen, it looks like Captain Kilowatt has a sidekick!"

With a click of a button, he paused the video, rubbing his head. If that sidekick had blasted him any harder, he might've broken his neck.

"Amateur." Fuse scoffed, staring at the screen. The quality of the recording was excellent but with the blinding glow of electricity radiating off Captain Kilowatt, it was impossible to see who was behind her.

Her sidekick was a hydrokinetic; that much was obvious. Getting shot in the face by a steam of high speed water was enough to let Fuse know. The problem was that Fuse had no idea how strong the sidekick was. He'd come out of nowhere and knocked both him and Repulser down easily.

"How come I've never heard of you before?" He mumbled, pressing play once more.

"With Fuse out of the way, Captain Kilowatt has nothing between her and Repulser. Oh, it looks like Repulser knows it too! And she's off! Looks like another round goes to Captain Kilowatt!"

"Pfft. Please. If that sidekick hadn't shown up, Kilowatt would've been toast."

"Fuse!"

He jumped in his chair, turning to face the door to his room. "Yeah, Mom?"

His door flew open and his mother waltzed into the room. "Well, what did you find?"

"I found out that locking the door can't stop you." He grumbled. His mother glared him down and he sighed. "Well, he's not half bad. I've been trying to find a frame of his face but Kilowatt did a good job covering him. He's pretty short from what I can tell. Probably a kid who just figured out he's kinetic."

"I could've figured as much." She rolled her eyes. "I wouldn't have tried to fight her by the lake if I knew that brat was going to show up."

"Isn't it kind of a good thing, though?" His mother looked as though she wanted to smack him so Fuse quickly elaborated. "This means Kilowatt sees me as a threat, right? She wouldn't have gotten a sidekick if she thought she could take us both down easy."

"It would've been better if she hadn't seen you as a threat and then gotten the shock of her life." She smirked.

Fuse tapped his fingers together, creating a spark of electricity between them. "Electrokinetic puns. I like it."

His mother waved him off. "Get back to work. Then make dinner."

"Can't you just make it with your mind or something? It's only fair. You left me in the middle of the lake for ten minutes. I almost drowned!" He bit his lip when she glared at him. "Kidding, kidding. Dinner. Yeah. I'll get right on it."

"Hmph." Without another word, Repulser left the room, the door slamming behind her without a touch.

This woman forgets I can barely swim... He thought, staring at the screen once again.