Chapter 10: What Makes a Hero

{Author's Note: A bit of a longer one this time; I hope you enjoy it! Let me know what you think, leave me some comments, I love them :) Happy reading!}

Ryan felt his heart pounding in his throat as he tore apart his room. "No, no, no!"

"There's no use. You left it at Henry's," Coma chastised.

"My suit!" Ryan shrieked, shaking his fists. "And my math book! Why does the universe hate me?!"

Coma yawned and curled up in his bed. "Can you turn off the light, at least?"

"No!" Ryan exclaimed. "I have to get my backpack!"

"Just get it from Henry tomorrow," Coma mumbled, turning away from the light. "Let me sleep."

"Fuse has my suit!" Ryan bounced on his heels, searching for a way out of the mess he'd gotten himself into. "Okay, okay, okay! I'll be back! Don't tell Dad!" Ryan opened their bedroom window, prompting Coma to turn over in bed.

"Where the hell are you going?"

"Back to Fuse's house," Ryan said firmly, climbing up to the windowsill. "I've gotta get my suit back before he figures out who I am."

"Can you at least turn the light off?" Coma grumbled. Ryan grunted and reached towards the street below, making a pulling gesture towards the storm drain. Water came surging out, forming a platform outside his window which he quickly stepped onto.

I'm finesse, huh? He thought, glancing over his shoulder into his room. He used a finger and guided a small stream towards the light switch, gritting his teeth as he made a flicking motion. The water complied and after a few dozen tries and some choice words from his brother, Ryan managed to turn the light off with nothing but his kinesis.

"Yes!" Ryan cheered, throwing his arms up. He yelped when the water below him surged upwards, tossing him into the air. He managed to hold in his scream and threw his arms out, bending the water to his will and gliding down a makeshift slide to the ground.

Is that how it feels to get thrown by the water? He thought, picking up the water under his feet. No wonder Fuse screams so loud every time.

Ryan surfed down the dark streets towards Fuse's house, praying nobody was out this late at night. Faster, faster, come on! Ryan pushed himself along the streets, making sharp turns and nearly throwing himself into walls.

Have you seen the way he surfs on a wave? The words rang through Ryan's mind. It almost made him proud. If only the words hadn't been said by 'Henry'.

Ryan glanced down at his feet, struggling to keep himself from sinking into the water. All he had to do to make Kilowatt proud was adapt to Fuse and start using finesse in his fighting style.

Maybe I can change the temperature of this water... He thought. But how the hell would I do that?

Ryan yelped when he nearly sent himself crashing into a building. Focus, Ryan! You've gotta get your suit back!

It was surprisingly hard to find the dingy repair shop on the dark street. When he did finally find it, Ryan tried to mentally map out where Fuse's room was and quickly decided the window faced the back. Ryan pulled the water along behind him as he crept around the building, staring up at the windows of the second floor. Ryan quickly picked one out and leaped onto the platform of water, pushing himself up to the window. He peered inside but saw nothing but an empty bedroom so he pulled his platform over to the next window and pressed his face against the glass.