Chapter 14: Switching Sides

{Author's Note: Vote, comment, like, subscribe, follow me like a stalker! I like feedback; have at it, folks :) Happy reading!}

The world was spinning faster and faster and Ryan could feel last night's dinner climbing up his throat.

He swallowed down the urge mostly because Lina was clinging to his chest and he did not want to throw up on a girl.

"ANGLER, DO SOMETHING!" Lina shrieked and Ryan winced. She could even be heard over the wind rushing by his ears and the rain pelting his head.

You don't think I'm trying?! He wanted to scream. The water was not working with him. He did his best to reach for the water pooling below or the water falling from the sky but he was simply too tired and moving far too fast to save the day.

He was going to clasp his hands together and pray for his immortal soul when there was a loud rumble somewhere in his ears. For a moment he thought he'd ruptured an eardrum until he saw the flash of lightning and the telltale sound of a body hitting the floor with a scream.

Then their movement stopped. They seemed to hang suspended for a moment before they were flung forward. Lina was screaming right in his ear which seemed to spur him into action. He threw an arm up, pulling up the water from the ground, cushioning their fall for a moment before the water gave out and Ryan hit the floor with Lina sprawled on top of him.

The two were breathing heavily until Lina gasped and gripped Ryan with all her strength. "Oh, thank you! Thank you!"

Ryan cleared his throat and tried to make his voice as deep as his father's. "Of course, young lady! All in a day's work! And you really oughtta be thanking Kilowatt for that lightning... bolt..." Ryan glanced up the street at Repulser. She was lying prone on the floor but Kilowatt was nowhere in sight. Instead, Henry was staring at the villain, his hand out and crackling with energy. Even from down the street, Ryan could see the shock and regret in Henry's eyes.

"Get to safety, young lady!" Ryan exclaimed, giving Lina a shove and jumping to his feet. He could see Repulser getting to her feet, moving sluggishly. Her dress was torn and appeared to be smoking.

Ryan looked back not to find an empty street with Lina safely on the other side of town, but to see Lina standing there, staring up the street with wide eyes. "Lina!" He shouted, giving her a push. "Get out of here!"

"But..." Lina stumbled back, biting her lip. "Angler, are you going to help Fuse?"

Ryan wanted to smack her. She was taking up his time! Of course he was going to help Henry! "I help anyone in danger, young lady! Please get to safety now!" Without looking back, Ryan started racing up the street. Repulser was back on her feet, moving towards Henry, tossing debris out of her way with her kinesis.

Ryan was astounded by the sheer force Repulser could exert. She'd never used this kind of power during their battles. Why was it coming out now? Was her sidekick really that important to her?

Ryan saw Henry struggling to prop himself up on the ground. There were bandages covering his legs and his pants had been torn up the side. The closer he got, the more obvious it became to Ryan that the bandages were completely drenched in blood.

He's totally dying! Ryan panicked and ran faster but there was no way he could make it before Repulser did. Indeed, it wasn't long before she was kneeling with her sidekick and the two were wrapped in an embrace. Ryan slowed to a jog as he got closer, eyeing the nearby destruction instead of the villains.

"-kill her! I'll kill her!" Ryan tried not to eavesdrop but Repulser had a strong set of vocal chords.

"But I'm okay!"