Chapter 50: Prodigies Get Initiated

It's time to hear from our favorite 13 year old!

The song? Finer Things by Polo G. This is Bodie's jam, mid-chapter....

Darius

When I come out of school, TJ is leaning against an orange sports car, checking his phone.

As I weave through all the other kids glad to be done for the day, I'm glad, too.

Glad he's here and not Marley or Bodie.

Mom or Dad.

I don't even know what to call them. This family thing is so weird. None of the people in my life feel like who they really are.

It's like being an orphan but with people all around.

As I get closer to TJ and realize that the car is actually a Subaru BRZ, I decide...screw all that. Something way more important is going on here.

When TJ brings a cheap but cool sports car like that to pick me up, I know what it means.

It's a driving lesson.

"'Sup, Dawg?" he says casually. I just grin and slide in shotgun.

He won't let me drive on real roads, of course. But for about six months, he's been taking me to places like empty megachurces or closed down plants, making me drive around the empty parking lots, learning to stay in my lane, accelerate and brake smoothly, park in the lines, all that stuff.

We don't tell Marley or Mama Pat, because they would probably give him static about me not being old enough yet. I can't legally get my learner's permit for another couple years.

TJ says, "There's the law, and then there's what's done. Atlanta is a big clusterfuck of distracted drivers and the sooner you start learning to drive, the better you will be at it when I do release you into traffic."

I was kinda nervous at first, but now I'm pretty good at driving around the parking lots. As he navigates the neighborhood, I realize today's lesson will be a new challenge. This car is a manual transmission. I haven't driven that yet.

He drives to a a dilapidated building with endless asphalt. There is only one car in the parking lot.

A silver Tesla.

"Really? You had to bring him into this?" I scoff at TJ.

He laughs. "C'mon Darius. Why you givin' my boy such a hard time?"

"Bodie is your boy now?"

"Bodie was always my boy," he says seriously. "Never had a brother that had my back like him. He'll have your back like that, too. If you'll let him."

"Do I have a choice?"

"Not really. He's not the kind of guy to walk off the job, even if you act like a little shit most of the time. So really, it's your choice. Have a rich fun dad that you vibe with, or have a dad that's gonna stay on your case, tryna make you act right."

TJ pulls up beside Bodie, rolls his window down, and starts revving the engine. They talk a lot of crap about the cars.

It's all a prelude to a race.

"Who's your money on, Darius?" Bodie calls across to me.

"Electric vehicle versus sports car? Uhhhm, duh. This car."

"What's the stakes?"

"I don't care."

"Alright, look. How about, if I win, you agree to go on a little educational field trip with me and TJ, instead of your piano lesson?"