Chapter 61: Drummer Boys Get More Blood On Their Hands

The song--To Live And Die In LA by Tupac--makes sense later in the chapter as we see Bodie bring the thug from The A to the City of Angels....

Bodie

The Grammy's

Thirteen lovely ladies are gowned and glowing, posed before the professional backdrop installed on the front lawn at the del Marco's.

Three del Marco wives minus Jax's soon-to-be-ex, plus Marcy. Marley, Kat, Mac. The four Struts, and of course the beautiful Bridge del Marco. Plus baby Alley, who has been all dolled up with the rest of the ladies. She's not going to the Grammy's of course, but this is the Glam Squad Pre-Party. Yeah, Matt's place is big enough to accommodate the styling of thirteen women upstairs at the same time a virtual army of party preppers are setting up for the after party. He insisted we all get ready here, because the limo line to the Grammy's is horrendous, and he's very close to the heart of LA, so at least we all cut down on the commute.

All the ladies are gorgeous, but I can't keep my eyes off Marley. Of course. I mean, I can't keep my eyes off her on any given day, but I ain't ever seen her look anything like this.

She's wearing a beaded red gown that fits her like a glove. It's got a bandeau-wrap top, and hugs her hips, but flares at the bottom. Her hair is shining, spilling, swept back waves. Her face is lit, her makeup professional but not so much that it detracts from the natural glow of her smiling eyes.

She sparkles like the sea set on fire at sunset.

She's the devil's own mermaid in a red skin.

Check that. She's my mermaid.

All us dude tuxed and tamed, admiring the women as the professional photog sets their shot. Our group and couple shots are thankfully finished.

"Feels like prom, huh?" Trace says to Adam.

"Not really, no. I never had a band that played prom. I never had a prom where my date had to grind with Matt del Marco on top of a piano or where I had to perform in a mullet."

"Shut-up. I'm talking about this part. The fancy, the pictures," Trace smiles into a glass of champagne. "I always thought I would take Kat to her prom, but it didn't happen."

Leed and I give each other conspiratory eye rolls over their heads. Our priveleged brothers. Leed was too broke for prom and I was too...incarcerated.

"This is so much better than prom" Kat smiles, strolling up to Trace in her two piece black and white gown.

He offers her his full champagne and grabs another from the waiter walking by. I notice her promise ring looks extra sparkly tonight; she must have had it shined up for the occasion. It doesn't look like an engagement ring, but it's unusual and showy and she'll definitely be asked to display it tonight.

I dunno why I'm looking at Kat's ring. Maybe because of the box in my jacket pocket.

Mac looks like a fairy in a nude gauze dress with whimsical pink flowers. Of course it vees down to the waist and is slit up the side, but it's still less sex-kitten and more...delicate...than past red-carpet dresses. Everytime she's dolled up like this, Adam eyes her the same way he did the night they got married—the first time—at his birthday BBQ. Like a man sure of what he wants—what he will always want.

"Have I told you how truly beautiful you look?" he says, like none of us are there.

"Yes, you have, but it's just as nice this time," she says, with lowered eyes. That's a little demure for Mac. The way they are staring at each other? Damn, it's intense.