Chapter 54: Smart Girls Have One Helluva Phone Conversation

Marley

Meanness, jealousy, and pure possession make me answer Arabella's call on Bodie's phone.

"Hey. It's Marley," I say coolly.

A long moment of silence greets me. Then a tearful, "Can you put Bodie on?"

The simple, respectful thing to do would be comply. She's obviously upset about something.

"He's...not nearby. And he's a little busy. I'll make sure he knows you called—"

"I really need him. What's he doing?"

No, you don't need him, Arabella. You need a good therapist and parents. Speaking of parents, my son is the one that actually needs Bodie.

"Bodie's teaching Darius how to take down a drum kit," I say. I don't know why I even tell her that.

That's a lie. Dr Watkins knows well that I'm flaunting our son—our family—in her face.

Her voice sounds shaky. "Okay. Well, please have him call me as soon as he can. It's urgent."

Something in her voice makes me inhale and try to wrestle control of myself away from Jealous Jasmine.

"Arabella, if this is related to your sobriety, you have a new specialist—"

"It's not that. It's...a family matter."

Family matter? Then you are definitely calling the wrong man, Bells.

Shit...unless...the family matter is about Cain Priestly.

Now I have to know.

"Arabella, if you will tell me what's going on, that might make a difference in how soon Bodie chooses to call you back. If it's an actual emergency—"

"It is. The police in Tennessee keep calling me. My stepfather missing. The police say there are signs of a struggle at his place and the lock was blown off his gate with a weapon. They think...they suspect foul play. They want to interview me and my mom...I don't know what to do..."

I sink slowly to my knees on the carpet.

I am extremely good at reading people. It's my job. The tension in her voice? It's not grief. It's not confusion for where he might be. It's not worry for her stepfather.

It's fear.

Why is she afraid?

"Arabella. Are you scared of a press problem? Is that why you are calling Bodie?"

"No, it's not that. Avery can handle that. It's...just...I need to talk to Bodie, okay?"

"You need to tell me why you are so upset."

"Goddamn you, Marley. You are not his fucking gatekeeper, okay? Put Bodie on the fucking phone!" she yells at me. "I need to talk to him. I need to warn him—"

She stops. But it's too late.

Warn him, she says.

My heart takes off—it runs clear away from me.

She knows. Something.

I reach out from somewhere deep in my gut and grab my heart, forcing it to slow, stopping it from running my body.

All at once—the parts of me? The shady girl and the doctor? They fuse.

I become a woman who will use every tool she possesses to protect what she loves.