~6~

It had been a few hours of comfortable silence between you and Daryl. Only when the caravan came to a sudden stop did you sit up again. Daryl glances at you as he stops the truck. You both get out walking up to the RV and you saw the steam flooding out the front. You sigh and lean against the side as Rick fans away some of the steam with his hat while Dale opens the grill to see what he already knew was wrong.

"I knew we'd never make it on that hose. I said I need the one from the cube van." Dale tells Rick as he sighs putting his hat back on. "Can you jury-rig it?" Rick asks Dale who just shrugs. "That's all its been so far is more duct tape than hose. And I'm out of duct tape." He tells your brother while Daryl paces keeping a look out while every once in a while glancing at you. "I see somthin' up ahead. A gas station if we're lucky." Shane says as he lowers his binoculars looking back at Rick.

"Y'all- Jim... it's bad... I don't think he can take anymore." Jacqui says after she runs out of the RV. You look down, it had been a while since he got bit. The fever would kill him soon and everyone knew it. "Hey Rick, you wanna hold down the fort. I'll drive ahead see what I can bring back." Shane says as t-dog looks though the goggles up ahead. "Yeah I'll come along too and I'll back you up." T says to Shane handing him back the binoculars. Rick sighs as walking into the RV taking his hat off, "Y'all keep your eyes open now. We'll be right back." Shane says as he hops into his Jeep with T-dog and heads down the road to see what they can find.

-

By the time T and Shane got back Daryl is standing beside you leaning up against the RV with you as Rick explains what Jim asked. "It's what he says he wants." Rick says looking to you. This didn't feel right. "And he's lucid?" Carol asks just to be sure. "He seems to be. I'd say he is." Rick says obviously fighting with himself about leaving Jim behind.

"Back in the camp when I said Daryl might be right and you shut me down, you misunderstood. I would never go along with callously killing a man. I was just gonna suggest that we ask Jim what he wants." Dale says looking at all of us, "And I think we have an answer." He finishes and you sigh nodding you hate to admit it but Dale was right. Jim wasn't gonna live to see the CDC and he knew that. He was hurting and in pain, he just wanted to go. He was ready. "We just leave him here? We take off? Man, I'm not sure I could live with that." Shane says making a point.

Rick was trying to find words before Lori spoke up, "It's not your call, either one of you." She says. You sigh, "Lori's right." You say making Rick look at you in shock. "Look I'm all for never leaving anyone behind no matter what, but Jim makes the final call. He's in pain, and he's ready. We have no right to tell him otherwise." You say. Rick sighs and Shane nods, they know your right. It's just gonna be hard to pull away knowing that he's gonna die.

They both walk into the RV to ask him one last time before helping Jim out a few minutes later. They walk him up the bank to a tree on the edge of the road setting him down gently against it. "Hey, another damn tree." Jim says weakly with a smile and you smile sadly at his remark. Shane sighs at him, "Hey Jim. I mean you know it doesn't need to be this." He says trying to make absolute sure this is what he wants. "No. Its good. The breeze feels nice." Jim rasps out making Shane sigh again defeated.

"Okay. Alright." Shane says patting his leg before stepping back while Jacqui steps up to him kneeling down. "Just close your eyes sweetie. Don't fight." She says quietly to him before kissing his cheek. She stands and walks away straight to the RV sitting on the steps unable to look back at him as Rick step to him kneeling down making eye contact. "Jim, do you want this?" Your brother asks as he holds a hand gun up for him.

"No." Jim says looking at Rick, "You'll need it." He says watching you brother debate on leaving it anyway. "I'm okay." He tells him gently and Rick sighs before putting a hand on his shoulder, "I'm okay." Jim says again reassuring your bother as he stands walking way.